Robert Runchey Guest

Smile Greeting from Madison, Wisconsin

Hello everyone, I'd like to introduce myself and ask a few basic questions since I've just started out in the HI business. I've had the opportunity to perform inspections for about a year now but really haven't done any advertising so far so I'm starting out slow.

I finally have an inspection set up for next week and would like to ask for any advise going into this. I feel that I'm ready but lack the procedure and the confidence. I took and passed an "on line" course and have since taken and passed both tests required to perform HI's.

I've tried contacting HI's in the area just to help my confidence level and gain knowledge of the way they perform inspections. My goal was to ride along with them to perform inspections to get the experience "first hand" but since then... no takers. I just I can't blame them for not helping out a fellow inspector looking to work in their back yard.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Robert Runchey
    American Home Inspectors LLC
    Waunakee, Wi. 53597

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Greeting from Madison, Wisconsin

Robert,

I going to sound blunt, but I think you lack the confidence right now or have the knowledge as of yet to jump into it. First of all, most of these so called on-line tests can be taken and passed by many folks who have little knowlege of a home and its components.

Confused when you say your been doing inspections for a year and say you finally have an inspection set up this week. Have you had your license all this time and just not done the work yet? Thats what I'm hearing.

Anyway, you owe it to the people buying the home that has put faith on the line that you know what your doing. If you don't feel comfortable, by all means tell them something to get out from doing the inspection. No sense of possibly getting sued starting off. IT HAPPENS TO NEW HI'S ALL THE TIME.

Don't get discouraged but do some more studying and keep pursuing some HI in your area to let you ride with them. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO OFFER TO PAY THEM TO DO SO. Education comes at a price.

Just my thoughts and best of luck,

rick

Robert
    Sorry, but I must agree with Rick. A lack of self confidence produces an odor that many RE agents pick up very quickly and also the more sophisticated buyers and sellers. I fear such an agent or client once exposed to your lack of self confidence in performing a professional inspection will rip out your liver and devour it.
    Go on some ride-alongs with some of the local pros and see how they handle it. Remember, in this industry we steal from each other, all the time.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Robert,
    Inspect your house,brother,cousin,aunt,neighbor,friends house again. Write the Report and include pictures.

Try the turn right system as you go through the house or by the system if you feel you are
    weak in plumbing,electrical,focus on that system.

Join you locale HI ORG.

Call one of the Guy's you would like to do ride a longs with. Tell him you have a job Booked and see if he will help you with it as a walk behind.

Go to open houses and introduce yourself.

Do Not Give Up.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Robert Runchey Guest

I've had my license for about 9 months and I have not done any inspections to date. I've been working full time and only now since I'm laid off I'm able to consintrate on performing inspections. I have remodeled serveral homes and built a two story four car garage so I have an understand of "home construction" and the components within it.

I have spend alot of time inspecting friends and relatives homes just as Bill has suggested... thanks! I don't feel weak in any particular area because I've been exposed to many years of remodeling and new construction and most recently worked for one of the largest electrical contractors in the country. I do lack confidence at this point because I lack the experience working for myself as a "home inspector".

Jerry, and Rick you guys are great! thanks for giving it to me straight.
    Bill, Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Much appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Runchey View Post
    I do lack confidence at this point because I lack the experience working for myself as a "home inspector".
    And your honest too, so don't give up hope on being a HI. If you were in Dallas I would let you ride tomm. with me.

Rick

Robert,

Look for a local association meeting. ASHI or whatever. Ask around there if anyone is willing to take you along. You can get a lot of really good information and feedback from local chapter meetings.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/