Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Panel contamination pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by bob smit View Post
    If the paint is just on "The Paint", then just leave the paint on the paint and move on to matters that matter! A little common sense in inspecting is needed here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    I was going to stay out of this, but, I feel that following the words as written versus the practical aspect are two different issues. I do not see something like latex paint over spray on the panel enclosure as an issue. Now paint on the bus is different as it is a functional and conductive part.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack davenport View Post
    I am in the same camp as Jim Port. Some paint on the panel enclosure - No issue
    Paint on the cover - as long as the label(s) are not covered No issue
    Paint on the energized bus - A problem - I would default to the manufactures recommendation on a remedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Jack, I believe that puts you with almost all the rest of us on this issue.
    I suspect that is the way most of us look at it.

The discussion has been about the paint on the bus bars, which, as agreed to by those above, is a different issue than paint on the enclosure, or "paint on the paint" as Bob Smit called it.

That said (gosh, dare I post this as it might cause some unreasonable types to launch off on another tangent?) "the paint" on the enclosure (the cabinet) has been tested with the panelboard, other paint has not. From prior discussions with UL on other paint on things which should not be painted, UL brought up that no paint would be allowed as they do not know what kind of paint it is, it's arc tracking properties, and other things that most of us do not consider but that UL does in their testing of the electrical equipment.

No one needs to panic, I am just posting that for general knowledge.

Member Benefits1
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

How much paint and where is the issue with many HIs as well as Electricians. Even they will vary in position on cleaning and amount of paint. There is even difference as to replacing the entire panel as apposed to replacing interior parts.

Take a look at the Electrical Talk Forum:
    Paint in the Panel - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum

Overspray again... - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum

No Picture? Anyhow the panels are suppose to be CLEAN this also means no paint/drywall spray etc also, They used to recommend changing the panel if panel is contaminated (older NEC) Now they can clean them with a special cleaner!! an qualified Electrical contractor can advise on this.

- - - Updated - - -

No Picture? Anyhow the panels are suppose to be CLEAN this also means no paint/drywall spray etc also, They used to recommend changing the panel if panel is contaminated (older NEC) Now they can clean them with a special cleaner!! an qualified Electrical contractor can advise on this.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Wow Roland !!

Once or twice ( maybe your enter button is on Machine Gun ) per reply please.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That said (gosh, dare I post this as it might cause some unreasonable types to launch off on another tangent?) ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Abram View Post
    Wow Jerry - Seems that you have gone full circle on this one. Seems that you just argue for the sake of arguing.
    I do believe I was spot on with what I said ... along comes an unreasonable type and launches off again ... guess the unreasonable type doth not read, or doth not comprehend what is read, in the in original post and what the discussion was about ... it was nice, though, with that ... suspension ... of time from the unreasonable type's posts.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12