Default Hello! I am a new member, looking for as much information as I can get

I have been searching for an "in" to plant my foot into the field of home inspection here in Pennsylvania. Everything I have learned about this career path makes it all the more desirable. I have been doing quite a bit of research, and would like some additional guidance, information, and advice on how to prepare myself, and how to go about finding my way to begin my career.

As a young female, it seems like I would be a double-minority in this field. Regardless, I am determined to do what it takes to become successful as a home inspector. The constant learning, the client interactions, the honesty of the trade, and the hard work and bottomless challenges involved is what makes this my ideal career.

Let's get started!

Inspection Referral

Hello Ellyn Harwood,

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your visit here at InspectionNews and if there is anything I can help you with just let me know.

In the upper left of the page there is a gift for business owners and one for home buyers, sellers or DIYers. This gift is from me to you. I hope you like it.

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Hello! I am a new member, looking for as much information as I can get

Ellyn,

I think the best thing you can do is learn as much as you can and market your service/inspections to women. I have known a couple of women in this field and they both told me it is difficult to get started in (this is true for all of us) and that a woman buyer is more receptive to a woman inspector. We men are rather full of ourselves.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Default Re: Hello! I am a new member, looking for as much information as I can get

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Ellyn,

I think the best thing you can do is learn as much as you can and market your service/inspections to women. I have known a couple of women in this field and they both told me it is difficult to get started in (this is true for all of us) and that a woman buyer is more receptive to a woman inspector. We men are rather full of ourselves.
    Being a woman in this business I have found the opposite to be true. I've been in business for over three years and originally just wanted to do the advertising and booking, more office focused, and have my two subcontractors do the inspections. From the start I have been the one most requested to do inspections and have remained consistently busy. I actually asked in the woman only area if anyone else experienced reverse sexism lol. It's good, I'm not complaining, but it's not how I wanted this to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherrie Lyle View Post
    Being a woman in this business I have found the opposite to be true. I've been in business for over three years and originally just wanted to do the advertising and booking, more office focused, and have my two subcontractors do the inspections. From the start I have been the one most requested to do inspections and have remained consistently busy. I actually asked in the woman only area if anyone else experienced reverse sexism lol. It's good, I'm not complaining, but it's not how I wanted this to work.
    That's very interesting and I have to say, counter intuitive. Maybe since you are the "boss," folks want the boss and not one of the employees. In a business (construction related) that is dominated by men, it's cool that you are doing well. I know of one woman around here that does well in this business. But I only know of three women in the business.

I suspect that the key word in Ellyn's post is that she is "young". Being young may be the biggest hurdle to overcome. I started this biz when I was 44. I walked onto every inspection with gravitas in my pocket just because of my age, even before anyone knew of my construction and real estate background. My step-son tried to break in with me at age 25. He became a good inspector within a year, but was frustrated that agents often double checked with me about something that he called out.

The difference was; he had to show what he knew, while I had to prove that I didn't know. People expect that an older person knows more than a young person, at least when it comes to this business. Just a few hours ago, I had a young couple gush, "It must have taken you years to learn so much!" I smiled but the truth is; even though I'm always learning something, I've known most of it for a very long time.

So my two cents for you, Ellyn, is to do some resume enhancing activities to show that you know what you're doing. Get the schooling, and/or mentoring in this business. And you have to be quick on your feet. People will ask you the darndest things and you have to be ready with an answer.

Good luck.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Talking Re: Hello! I am a new member, looking for as much information as I can get

Hi, and welcome to the board, Ellyn. I would guess that most home inspectors have some period of time in the trades such as framing, concrete, electrical, plumbing, roofing, HVAC, etc. Better to have as much hands-on as you can so that you will be able to recognize when things are wrong. Many contractors have come into the inspection business as a natural transition and have had a number of years of experience; but, some other inspectors have gone to a technical school to learn aspects of home inspection. There are a number of home inspection schools - some are advertising on this board, and they are good at what they do with classroom instruction and hands-on training. You might wish to tag along with an experienced inspector in your area...or with various contractors to try to glean as much info as you can.
    Just know that there is never an end to the education or knowledge you will be amassing. Continue learning, ask questions , tag along on inspections, go to an inspector school - but don't think that this board will be the end all.....sometimes we agree ...and sometimes we agree to disagree....and sometimes there is no agreement.
    You will be in a position of a trusted professional and people will be relying on your expertise. Have a good background, good training, and basic and in-depth knowledge base to provide the needed facts to support and to substantiate your position. Sometimes people will question your opinion (and yes, it is an opinion) based on applicable building standards locally and nationally, and/or manufacturers recommendations.
    There are standards, and there are interpretations. Just look at a few examples here I saw recently, concerning a wood deck sonotube, or front door egress. Heck, take an hour or two in the evening for the next few weeks and read the numerous articles here in the InspectionNews board.....but use the daytime to learn the trades.
    Sometimes, the houses just dont fit in the box that we are used to seeing....
    Asking questions is appropriate.
    Best wishes in your quest
    Chris

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images