Default Being asked for feedback on my inspector

Hi All-
    We're in the process of buying a "new to us" home that sits a mere 300 feet from our current home (not relevant...just interesting). We had the home inspection on Friday. I received an e-mail from his company today asking me for feedback. I do have some, but I am nervous about providing it. I think he needs to hear this, but I don't want to offend him.

First off, he spent a good 45 - 60 minutes at the start credentialing himself. I basically asked if he was certified and with whom, and that started this long explanation going back to his days in the Navy over 30 years ago and ending with how he sits on one of the examining boards for all inspectors. I felt that was a bit much and kept looking at the clock. He urged me to ask questions throughout the process. However, he talked so much it was hard to get a word in edgewise. My agent even cautioned him that we only had three hours in the home before the owners returned (and it took us the first TWO just to get through the credentialing and the exterior). We ended up spending a total of four hours in the home (3800 finished square feet...two floors with a basement).

With all of his chatting (filled me in on his dabbling in the stock market, his life as a bond trader, real estate, etc.), we missed a storage room that is attached to the home but only accessible from the outside. Is that a minor oversight? My main concern with that oversight is that we found water issues in a closet that backs up to this storage room. However, the stain was old as it was dry (low reading...6%...on moisture meter). However, I kept asking myself, "would looking at the OTHER side of that wall have revealed ANYTHING?" I read the contract, and if it does reveal anything, the company is liable up to the cost of the inspection but not more.

I think he's a great inspector as he answered all of the questions I was able to ask, but he talked so much I couldn't ask all of the questions I wanted to ask. I even had to interrupt him on two occasions to point out wood rot on windows and window sills that he hadn't notice (in his defense, he said that it MIGHT appear that he hasn't noticed something but he HAS noticed it...of course, I can't prove that, but I "buy" what he's saying...he's taking a lot in and not necessarily pointing out everything).

Would I recommend this guy to someone else? Probably not. I liked him, but the chattiness made the inspection almost a tortuous process. How would you feel if you heard that feedback? I know this is this guy's livelihood, and he's good at it. I feel comfortable with what was uncovered during the inspection, so I think he did his job. It was just painful. My agent had worked with him in the past and said "he's not normally like that." Maybe it was me?

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Being asked for feedback on my inspector

Well if the inspector asked for your opinion of his work and you had some issue, I would tell him exactly what you posted on this site. I would make it factual and to the point.

And just a little information based on what you posted. There is no examining board for all home inspectors. GA does not even license home inspectors! We do have what is called The Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors; this is the organization that writes and maintains the only third party licensing examination used by the majority of the states (32) that license home inspectors.

He needs to know that he is too chatty...

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Be honest and respond to his request. Especially if you thought that his inspection and report was good and of value to you. If you have things that leave you with any questions, include that also.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Be honest and respond to his request. Especially if you thought that his inspection and report was good and of value to you. If you have things that leave you with any questions, include that also.
    Thanks to Garry and Scott for your responses. I will pass the feedback on and especially note that the report was of value but add that he needs to tone down the chattiness and reduce the time spent sharing his credentials. Thanks again!

As someone who can be chatty, I think you should tell him what you posted here. If the guy is honestly trying to provide better service, he'll want to hear it and if not, then too bad.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Like others have said, let him know what you think. He will appreciate the candor.

Regarding the missed storage room. When did you discover you missed it? Did you call him and ask him to come back and take a look? Did you call him to ask the unanswered questions you had?

I would, fill out the form. I would also call him and ask him to come back and check out the missed room. I would also ask all the questions that you needed to get a clear understanding of the home's condition.