Default Modular vs. Site built?

Here's one for the controversy enthusiasts; The log kit home was rolled in on a trailer in pieces. The pieces were taken off the trailer, the wheels and axle were removed and taken off site. The trailer tongue was taken off and stored beneath the frame. Stacked CMU piers and tie-downs were installed beneath the steel frame and stone & mortar curtain walls were built on all sides. The 600 sf. home was assembled out of individual half sawn logs and milled lumber, all pre-cut at the factory, on the metal frame.

Is it a "Modular" or "Site built" home?

OREP Insurance
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Default Re: Modular vs. Site built?

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    Here's one for the controversy enthusiasts; The log kit home was rolled in on a trailer in pieces. The pieces were taken off the trailer, the wheels and axle were removed and taken off site. The trailer tongue was taken off and stored beneath the frame. Stacked CMU piers and tie-downs were installed beneath the steel frame and stone & mortar curtain walls were built on all sides. The 600 sf. home was assembled out of individual half sawn logs and milled lumber, all pre-cut at the factory, on the metal frame.

Is it a "Modular" or "Site built" home?
    If it was towed to the site with wheels that were later removed and it had a trailer tongue, it is a glorified manufactured home. Modular for the most are delivered in sections (2-4 normally), they are lifted onto the foundation by lifting equipment (crain). Chances are that this log manufactured home was built under DOT guidelines just like the common double-wide.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 03-25-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    If it was towed to the site with wheels that were later removed and it had a trailer tongue, it is a glorified manufactured home. Modular for the most are delivered in sections (2-4 normally), they are lifted onto the foundation by lifting equipment (crain). Chances are that this log manufactured home was built under DOT guidelines just like the common double-wide.
    I agree with Scott ... but would like to clarify what I am envisioning - I am envisioning that the interior was part of the manufactured assembly, i.e., the bathrooms, kitchen, bedrooms, etc, were all there and the exterior walls (the logs) were stacked up around it - versus - just being a trailer frame and *everything* else was made out of pieces like a stick-built home and put together the same as a stick-built home.

A little more information about it would be great.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

There is no DOT data tag, or any tag for that matter. Only one GFCI for the whole house; didn't work so I don't know what it was protecting. Plumbing at sinks have S-traps and no vents. Trailer frame does have the mobile home belly pan (vapor barrier and insulation) so the rest of the plumbing, duct and electrical is hidden. Logs are square milled with dovetail corners; no leveling jacks or slip joints as far as I could tell.

Really don't know what to call it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I agree with Scott ... but would like to clarify what I am envisioning - I am envisioning that the interior was part of the manufactured assembly, i.e., the bathrooms, kitchen, bedrooms, etc, were all there and the exterior walls (the logs) were stacked up around it - versus - just being a trailer frame and *everything* else was made out of pieces like a stick-built home and put together the same as a stick-built home.

A little more information about it would be great.
    I was told that pieces came stacked on the trailer then put together like a stick-built. There are only three interior walls in the whole house. Two bedroom separation and one bathroom if you don't count the short walls each side of the bathroom door.

Based on the frame it came on, it sounds like a manufactured home, which would be build to the HUD code. Modular would be built to local code. I don't think I ever saw either without some specification label (maybe in the kitchen sink base cabinet or near the electric panel) that would note what code it was built to.

Houses built to the HUD code typically have vent check valves (bot AAVs) at each fixture.

IMO, it is not a modular home, because it was not framed up in a factory offsite.
    It is not a mobile or manufactured home, for similar reasons.
    You could call it a Modified Prefab Log home with a manufactured home floor.
    Are the log walls supported by the steel frame on piers? No way. I would think the exterior stone walls carry the weight of the log walls.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    IMO, it is not a modular home, because it was not framed up in a factory offsite.
    It is not a mobile or manufactured home, for similar reasons.
    You could call it a Modified Prefab Log home with a manufactured home floor.
    Are the log walls supported by the steel frame on piers? No way. I would think the exterior stone walls carry the weight of the log walls.
    Good point, it looks like the stone walls support both the perimeter of the metal framing and all of the log weight.

......as mentioned above, DOT is not the authority of jurisdiction - it's HUD. And HUD Code homes, are manufactured under HUD (federal) codes. Mods are manufactured under state codes. If it does not have a metal ID tag affixed to the exterior (side of home adjacent to the rear) of each half it's not a HUD code. Are you sure it's not log siding?........Greg

I would call it Precut/Prefab as it is neither a Manufactured Home nor is it a Site Built home, not even a Modular home or a Panelized home.

Sounds like it came on a Manufactured Home trailer frame with all plumbing and electrical installed in the frame and the precut/prefab logs were stacked for the exterior walls.

We really have not been given enough information yet to know what it is.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Settler Log Cabins ? Cozy Cabins, LLC

If you Google 'log cabin mobile home' you find them called everything from mobile to manufactured to modular. So even the builders don't know what to call them.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Settler Log Cabins ? Cozy Cabins, LLC

If you Google 'log cabin mobile home' you find them called everything from mobile to manufactured to modular. So even the builders don't know what to call them.
    Except that is not the construction described by Vern - those come like a mobile home (manufactured home) not to be assembled on-site ... at least not what I read in your link or ... or all the ones I searched last night.

The best description I could find for the type Vern described was precut/prefab kits (I think I left "kit" off my post last night).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I would call it Precut/Prefab as it is neither a Manufactured Home nor is it a Site Built home, not even a Modular home or a Panelized home.

Sounds like it came on a Manufactured Home trailer frame with all plumbing and electrical installed in the frame and the precut/prefab logs were stacked for the exterior walls.

We really have not been given enough information yet to know what it is.
    The information we have is second hand, as this is what the current owner was told by the original owner. Definitely solid logs, no tags, status of plumbing and electrical above the belly pan unknown.

This is a pre-listing inspection and the Realtor is the one wanting to call it something other than modular or pre-fab. I'm just reporting it has foundation walls and has metal floor framing. My dog is not in that fight.

Thanks all for your thoughts.

The best description I could find for the type Vern described was precut/prefab kits (I think I left "kit" off my post last night).
    Yeah, I'd go with "kit" home.....but the agent should probably pay an appraiser to look at the house, because ultimately, their term will decide what type of loan will work for it.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Address of structure is apparently established (having an owner/previous owner) so is now in the system. Contact insurance company for quote on homeowners insurance. Their definition of type of structure for replacement value should/may be in place based on initial appraisal.

Just call it a "House", that covers just about all of them!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Just call it a "House", that covers just about all of them!
    At 600 square feet, how about "small" "house".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Its a site built that was moved.

- - - Updated - - -

Its a site built that was moved.