Default First Repeat Home Insoection

I have see some old posts on this subject, but I thought I would bring it up again. This is a first for me and I wanted to get some feed back from any of you that have been thought it recently.

I have an Inspection scheduled for a log home I inspected two years ago. Are there any pointers or tips that would be good to know before the inspection? Reading the old report before or after the inspection? Letting the client know that you inspected the home before? Or anything else that might be relevant in this situation?

Inspection Referral

Default Re: First Repeat Home Insoection

Alot can change in two years. Just do the inspection as you would in any other case. There is no need to worry about anything else. Thats my 2 cents worth anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Alot can change in two years. Just do the inspection as you would in any other case. There is no need to worry about anything else. Thats my 2 cents worth anyway.

Great point! You 2 cents is well appreciated. Thanks

Yes disclose you inspected the home previously.

You are (hopefully) a better inspector now after 2 years. Read the old report after you do the new inspection; you may surprise yourself.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Yes disclose you inspected the home previously.
    I don't specifically disagree with this advise, but can you tell me why you "should" do this?

I always disclose that I have done an inspection previously to my clients. I do the inspection the same way as if I have never seen the home before. After I get the report to the final stage, I will review the old report. Many of the previous issues will still exist because the previous owner took the cash and never did the repairs. Secondly, you may have overlooked something that you caught the first time.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

In reply to John D.

1. Because its the ethicalprofessional thing to do - full disclosure.
    2. Because the current client may have been handed a copy of the first report conducted for the 1st client, then again maybe not.
    3. What would you say if client knew you had done an inspection previously and brought it up and asked you if you had previously inspected?

And also what Rick said.

Cheers,

I've inspected the same 4-unit four times over the years. Things I noted the first time still haven't been repaired. I've inspected several homes twice.

Just like everyone has said. I always disclose that I've been here before and no, it's not deja vue.

Most of the time, I don't remember the address. I just recognize the house when I pull up to it. At one house, the sellers (my past clients) jumped out of their car as they were leaving and semi jokingly, begged me not to beat them up the way I beat up the sellers when they bought it. After they left, I explained to the new clients that I don't beat up anybody or any house; I just call 'em like I see 'em.

When I get home, I like to pull up the old inspection and review it.

So, don't sweat it. Just disclose that you've been here before, and do your thing.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

I'm scheduled Thursday to inspect a house I did 2 weeks ago. I told the clients and their agent that I had been there a couple weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    I've inspected the same 4-unit four times over the years. Things I noted the first time still haven't been repaired. I've inspected several homes twice.

Just like everyone has said. I always disclose that I've been here before and no, it's not deja vue.

Most of the time, I don't remember the address. I just recognize the house when I pull up to it. At one house, the sellers (my past clients) jumped out of their car as they were leaving and semi jokingly, begged me not to beat them up the way I beat up the sellers when they bought it. After they left, I explained to the new clients that I don't beat up anybody or any house; I just call 'em like I see 'em.

When I get home, I like to pull up the old inspection and review it.

So, don't sweat it. Just disclose that you've been here before, and do your thing.
    Exactly.

One more thing. Going back a few years later, you can see how well the house is aging or surviving.
    This is good for putting small faults into perspective.

BTW, I would not hesitiate to look at my old report and all the pics ahead of time. Arm yourself with as much info as possible. Then you can spend extra time looking beyond what you saw before.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Yes, disclose you've inspected the home previously. Yes, read your report before you do the 2nd inspection. You always want as much info on the house as you can get.

I inspected a house last week, which I had previously inspected 8 years ago. The gas leak I found on the first inspection was still labelled with blue painters tape and the words "gas leak" I wrote on it with a Sharpie. Still leaking.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    I don't specifically disagree with this advise, but can you tell me why you "should" do this?
    Always remain above reproach.

Why not tell them you inspected the property two years ago? What will it hurt?

I have inspected many homes several times over the years and I always let my client know that I have been in the home before. Most of the time I do not even realize it until I pull up to the house or sometimes during the inspection. When I do realize it I simple tell my client that I'm pretty sure I inspected this home a few years ago or something like that. That is about all I say and I just complete the inspection.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Thank you all for your insight and thoughts. It has been helpful and reassuring that I'm doing the right things. I do have to agree, being upfront and honest with our clients is the best way to serve them and our profession. Thanks again.