Default Floor Drain in Sump Pit

Ran into this today. Never seen it before and I had no way of knowing where the floor drain went to. Since the home was an estate the seller did a disclosure alternative stating they knew nothing about the house.

I instructed them to get a plumber to determine if the floor drain discharged to the sanitary sewer.

IMG_6834_zps59fdee52.jpg

Crawl Space Creeper
    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Default Re: Floor Drain in Sump Pit

Really? No thoughts or comments?

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Ran into this today. Never seen it before and I had no way of knowing where the floor drain went to. Since the home was an estate the seller did a disclosure alternative stating they knew nothing about the house.

I instructed them to get a plumber to determine if the floor drain discharged to the sanitary sewer.

IMG_6834_zps59fdee52.jpg
    .........I've seen one nearly identical, and in that instance the drain went to the storm sewer. Of course that sets no meaningful precedent for this installation...Greg

I never saw a floor drain. Why would then even need the pit? I had a side drain that went into the canyon once. I guess if the lift pump stopped, your poop would just flow out to the outside until you got it fixed.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

What is draining into the pit - it remeinds me of what they do in resturaunts where they drop several drains into a sink under the floor (why - I have no idea) Seen it done in Starbucks but the pipes were draining into a floor drain (I think this is so they can move the cabinet for cleaning) but I do recall in my youth (40 yr or so) a resturaunt I used to work at where the piping all drained into one sink under the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Doane View Post
    What is draining into the pit - it remeinds me of what they do in resturaunts where they drop several drains into a sink under the floor (why - I have no idea) Seen it done in Starbucks but the pipes were draining into a floor drain (I think this is so they can move the cabinet for cleaning) but I do recall in my youth (40 yr or so) a resturaunt I used to work at where the piping all drained into one sink under the floor.
    ...........the drains you are referring to are "indirect drains", whose purpose is to prevent any drainage back-up from reaching the sink, in order to prevent contamination within the sink.......Greg