Default Can you join PVS to ABS

Can you join PVC to ABS( black plastic). Is there some kind of special glue?

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Can you join PVS to ABS

Not like that you can't. Threaded fittings OK. Glued not OK, Different plastic.
    I've seen more leaks from pc to pc than 've seen leaks from that type of connection though>

Here is the stuff..Oatey 4 oz. ABS to PVC Transition Cement-309003 at The Home Depot

It was a 15 second Google search.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Here is the stuff..Oatey 4 oz. ABS to PVC Transition Cement-309003 at The Home Depot

It was a 15 second Google search.
    Jack are you telling me to look my own stuff up and quit wasting your time : ) thanks for the reply though

- - - Updated - - -

Its not straight any way so I writing it up good glue or not.

It's not allowed inside the house according to the National Standard Plumbing Code

Attached Files Attached Files
    Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Miller View Post
    It's not allowed inside the house according to the National Standard Plumbing Code
    The IRC does not even permit its use there: (bold and underlining are mine)
    - P3003.2 Prohibited joints. - - Running threads and bands shall not be used in the drainage system. Drainage and vent piping shall not be drilled, tapped, burned or welded.
    - - - The following types of joints and connections shall be prohibited:
    - - - - 1. Cement or concrete.
    - - - - 2. Mastic or hot-pour bituminous joints.
    - - - - 3. Joints made with fittings not approved for the specific installation.
    - - - - 4. Joints between different diameter pipes made with elastomeric rolling O-rings.
    - - - - 5. Solvent-cement joints between different types of plastic pipe.
    - - - - 6. Saddle-type fittings.
    and
    - P3003.18.4 Plastic pipe or tubing to other piping material.
    - - Joints between different types of plastic pipe or between plastic pipe and other piping material shall be made with an approved adapter fitting. Joints between plastic pipe and cast-iron hub pipe shall be made by a caulked joint or a mechanical compression joint.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yes you can glue ABS to PVC, If you use a transition cement that's specifically designed for joining ABS to PVC. The glue is green, this how you can identify if the proper type of glue is used at connections. The brand "Oatey" makes it. The glue is formulated so that it melts and bonds both types of plastic. I am not sure what the exact code states. When I first seen this last year in a new development I called the city inspector. He told me that it's approved as long as they use the proper type of glue, said it should always be green. Oatey 4 oz. ABS to PVC Transition Cement-309003 at The Home Depot

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    Yes you can glue ABS to PVC, If you use a transition cement that's specifically designed for joining ABS to PVC.
    Yes, you CAN ... but the codes say that you MAY NOT use that glue. The codes say that you are required to use an approved adapter fitting between different types of plastic pipe.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Codes are dependent on your location. Here in MN the green glue isn't approved so no glued connections between ABS and PVC. You need to check your local codes for approval.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by ren ramsey View Post
    Jack are you telling me to look my own stuff up and quit wasting your time : ) thanks for the reply though

- - - Updated - - -

Its not straight any way so I writing it up good glue or not.
    Ren I think you have a gold mine of information available to you in Jack....can I borrow him sometime?

Ren...the code reference that Jerry made (and specifically #6) is found under Section 707.1 of the 2012 NC Plumbing Code (as well as last several cycles).
    Dave