Thread: Asbetsos ???s

Default Asbetsos ???s

I am commercial building owner and had an asbestos survey done today in one of my vacant spaces that I just got leased that will be remodeled. I have a general idea about asbestos and its abatement but not great one so I thought I would ask on here ( I don't post much on here but read a lot of threads just for my own personal information)

I won't have the report back until next Wednesday or Thursday but knowing my luck I am sure there will be something. I guess I am just wondering what you guys considering "disturbing or dislodging" to be?

One of the areas in the space had some black mastic on the floor (10*40 foot strip, on one side of a 40*40 open room). One comment that was made was if carpet was going back over it nothing would have to be done. When I said "there might be a partition wall going up there" he the said "well how ever your attaching the wall to the floor will be going through the mastic and that is an issue" In my mind that seem a little extreme.

Also what about joint compound? The way the inspector was talking made it seem like putting nails holes to hang pictures would be "disturbing and dislodging ". I get tearing down walls but nail holes?

Just wondering out loud

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Asbetsos ???s

I feel your pain, Mike.
    It does seem extreme....but for us inspectors we don't get caught up in the remedy.
    Reasonableness, and state and federal law, have nothing in common. I suspect your abatement contractor is using state and federal law guidelines. Who can blame him?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pagozalski View Post
    I am commercial building owner and had an asbestos survey done today in one of my vacant spaces that I just got leased that will be remodeled. I have a general idea about asbestos and its abatement but not great one so I thought I would ask on here ( I don't post much on here but read a lot of threads just for my own personal information)

I won't have the report back until next Wednesday or Thursday but knowing my luck I am sure there will be something. I guess I am just wondering what you guys considering "disturbing or dislodging" to be?

One of the areas in the space had some black mastic on the floor (10*40 foot strip, on one side of a 40*40 open room). One comment that was made was if carpet was going back over it nothing would have to be done. When I said "there might be a partition wall going up there" he the said "well how ever your attaching the wall to the floor will be going through the mastic and that is an issue" In my mind that seem a little extreme.

Also what about joint compound? The way the inspector was talking made it seem like putting nails holes to hang pictures would be "disturbing and dislodging ". I get tearing down walls but nail holes?

Just wondering out loud
    Hi Mike,
    I was a asbestos abatement project manager for 20 years and most of our work was on commercial buildings and schools.
    Floor mastic/adhesive is a non-friable material. You would have to grind it or use other abrasive methods to release asbestos fibers into the environment.
    As far a joint compound, in the hundreds of asbestos abatement and demolition projects I have overseen, I've never encountered drywall joint compound that contained asbestos.

www.dapkusinspections.com
    www.chicagoinfraredthermalimaging.com
    Infraspection Institute Certified Level III Thermographer # 8510

Quote Originally Posted by Linas Dapkus View Post
    Hi Mike,
    I was a asbestos abatement project manager for 20 years and most of our work was on commercial buildings and schools.
    Floor mastic/adhesive is a non-friable material. You would have to grind it or use other abrasive methods to release asbestos fibers into the environment.
    As far a joint compound, in the hundreds of asbestos abatement and demolition projects I have overseen, I've never encountered drywall joint compound that contained asbestos.
    LOL told you I am lucky......It is actually pretty common in this town in buildings built in the 70's. My building had it in one of three upstairs spaces (3 separate 5-8k sqft) when we did a major re model/ conversion to apartments in 05. I know 3 downstairs spaces don't have it (tested clean). I as know the apartment complex down the street had it in all the units in as well (used to be an owner in it, and that bite us in the ass)

Joint compounds did have asbestos till the mid 70's. I worked with some of them.

Joint Compound Products Containing Asbestos

The following partial list of joint compound products were known to contain asbestos:
    Product Name Start Year End Year
    Bondex “Premium Joint Compound”
    Bondex GSA Joint Compound
    Bondex Joint Compound
    CertainTeed Joint Treating Compound 1937 1956
    Flintkote Flintrock Joint Compound
    Flintkote Joint Treatment Compound
    Georgia-Pacific All Purpose Joint Compound 1967 1977
    Georgia-Pacific Dry Mixed Joint Compound 1956 1977
    Georgia-Pacific Joint Compound 1956 1977
    Georgia-Pacific Ready Mix Joint Compound 1963 1977
    Georgia-Pacific Speed Set Joint Compound 1962 1974
    Georgia-Pacific Triple Duty Joint Compound 1956 1977
    Kaiser Gypsum Dual Purpose Joint Compound
    Kaiser Gypsum Joint Compound 1953 1975
    Kaiser Gypsum One-Day Joint Compound 1953 1975
    Kelly-Moore Paco All-Purpose Joint Compound 1960 1978
    Kelly-Moore Paco Joint Compound 1960 1978
    Kelly-Moore Paco Quik-Set Joint Compound 1963 1978
    Kelly-Moore Paco Ready Mix Joint Compound 1960 1978
    National Gypsum Gold Bond All Purpose Joint Compound
    National Gypsum Gold Bond Joint Compound
    National Gypsum Gold Bond Quik-Treat Joint Compound
    National Gypsum Gold Bond Ready Mixed Joint Compound
    National Gypsum Gold Bond Tri-Treatment Joint Compound
    National Gypsum Gold Bond Two-in-One Joint Compound
    National Gypsum Gold Bond Velvet Joint Compound
    National Gypsum Wesco Joint Treatment
    Synkoloid Synko Triple Duty Joint Compound 1950 1975
    United States Gypsum Durabond 90 Joint Compound 1970 1976
    United States Gypsum Durabond Joint Compound 1960 1975

Read more: Joint Compound | Asbestos Product and Mesothelioma Hazard

well I was lucky............the black mastic had it and so did the joint compound in only the interior of the bathroom (which they are expanding)..........so looks I am about to spend 6K or so