Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Market Conditions

This is the time of year I expect work volume to be in full swing and bustling but it's just not the case. As soon as I think we're getting into the busy time, things drop off and I'm sitting around the house waiting for the to ring.

How are things shaking out in other areas of the country?

OREP Insurance
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Default Re: Market Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    This is the time of year I expect work volume to be in full swing and bustling but it's just not the case. As soon as I think we're getting into the busy time, things drop off and I'm sitting around the house waiting for the to ring.

How are things shaking out in other areas of the country?
    It's rockin' here. We would be much busier if there were more houses on the market. Less than a 2 month supply from what I hear with a 6 month supply normal for a "balanced" market.
    Builders are cranking them out with new developments springing up. Not at the level pre 2007 but the best I have seen. Prices are rising and option periods are ridiculously short. I've had many agents call asking for my availability before they write a particular contract. All things being equal, a shorter option period makes a difference to sellers.
    It is still early in the year though, cold weather and storms have given me a few days off in the past month.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

5-7 inspections every week since Feb 1st. Couple weeks of 10.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    It's rockin' here. We would be much busier if there were more houses on the market. Less than a 2 month supply from what I hear with a 6 month supply normal for a "balanced" market.
    Builders are cranking them out with new developments springing up. Not at the level pre 2007 but the best I have seen. Prices are rising and option periods are ridiculously short. I've had many agents call asking for my availability before they write a particular contract. All things being equal, a shorter option period makes a difference to sellers.
    It is still early in the year though, cold weather and storms have given me a few days off in the past month.
    EXACT same here in Oregon for everything Jim said. Busy, busy and would be even more so if there were more houses. We're having bidding wars just like 7-8 years ago. It all does seem to be tempered with a fair dose of caution though so things don't get as out of control.

I'm blessed (or cursed) to be slammed, and have been all year. No only am I booked solid, but I am booked 7 - 10 days out, and have not been scheduled that far out for several years. I even worked last Sunday after church.

What's funny is I raised my prices a fair amount, and decided to try to take Fridays off. No such luck. I'm almost back to 2007 numbers. Its great, but I'm trying to slow down and take more time off. I want to travel to Seattle more to visit my Granddaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I'm blessed (or cursed) to be slammed, and have been all year. No only am I booked solid, but I am booked 7 - 10 days out, and have not been scheduled that far out for several years. I even worked last Sunday after church.

What's funny is I raised my prices a fair amount, and decided to try to take Fridays off. No such luck. I'm almost back to 2007 numbers. Its great, but I'm trying to slow down and take more time off. I want to travel to Seattle more to visit my Granddaughter.
    Time to raise your prices again! Supply and demand.
    You don't want to be greedy but if you get every job, you are working more and making less than you could.
    As much as we inspectors, that have survived, have struggled to survive over the past years, it is time to put a little away for a rainy day without killing ourselves.
    Preaching to myself too!
    I have not raised my prices yet but I have stopped discounting for repeat customers and have held fast on charging for reinspects.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

A little slower for me this year compared to last, but still doing 6 to 10 inspections per week. Radon testing has taken off like crazy though. Last year about 17% of my clients ordered radon testing. This year I'm at 65%. The state enacted new radon disclosure laws here in January which had brought in a ton of business. I've currently got three CRMs and will probably pick up a couple more. With the additional income from the radon and the fact I raised my prices in February, I'm actually making more money this year than last.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Like Jack, I'm blessed! Booked a week out with 5-8 a week since the first of the year, and I have not broken down to work weekends... I could have 10-12 if I worked weekends.

I raised my fees a good amount back in February and started charging a good deal more for jobs further away. I guess the tell tail sign that business is back on track is that I had to pay extra income tax for 2013!

Radon is on about 30% of the homes and I have also been blessed that my average home is between 2500sf and 4500sf... This is one reason I'm happy with 5 to 8 a week!

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 04-08-2014 at 05:49 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Its rocking and rolling here.
    Started this week out with 11, referred 2 yesterday. Jan Feb and March were as good as 05 and 06.
    I'm trying to buy a new work vehicle and cant get the time to get to the dealer. So far that's a good thing, 2 different dealers keep calling and emailing me, so far I've been able to get the email price quotes reduced $ 2200.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Really weird. The market is not at all where I expected it to be around here especially considering we are one full week into April.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Its rocking and rolling here.
    Started this week out with 11, referred 2 yesterday. Jan Feb and March were as good as 05 and 06.
    I'm trying to buy a new work vehicle and cant get the time to get to the dealer. So far that's a good thing, 2 different dealers keep calling and emailing me, so far I've been able to get the email price quotes reduced $ 2200.
    I just bought a new truck and had a similar problem/blessing. Too busy to go shopping. In the end I used the Costco auto program and saved 2K off the "bottom line - no haggle" price I had found. It was a Ram (Dodge) truck so other brands may vary but I paid about 80% of the MSRP price which was a pretty smoking deal.

I raised my prices last year about $30 per inspection average. I also raised my radon prices, and picked up another monitor. I have 5 now and try to keep them busy.
    My average inspection fee this year is about $20 more than last year.
    My plan is to work no more than two more years.

The Austin area is going strong. I have been booked a week in advanced since December. Like many of you, I have been letting realtors know that a 7 day option period is going to be tough as we head into the summer. Bringing another inspector on very shortly to "catch" all the business I have lost due to lack of availability.