Brian Harwood Guest

Question Residential Water Softener Inspections

Good morning everyone,

Due to the hard water we have here in Central Florida, some of the homes I inspect have water softeners. Does anyone include inspection of water softeners as part of your home inspection protocol? If so, other than the plumbing installation, equipment damage, missing parts, salt bridging or excessive salt build up on the walls of the salt tank, what do you do during you inspection? In the past, I have advised contacting a water softener installation contractor for inspection to include water testing. Your thoughts?

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Residential Water Softener Inspections

I don't check them.

visual on equipment, and water testing

Don't inspect them and you cannot tell they are working without an electronic tester or water test. Most often I find there is no salt in the brine tank. Water up in these parts is hard, and almost everyone has a water softener.

Like you mentioned, a visual on the external issues, exposed transformer for power, leaks at the unions, broken handles on the bypass valves, the drain tube taped into the nearby plumbing cleanout (through the cap), debris and wildlife in the brine tank, obvious lack of maintenance, etc.

I recommend all of the them be serviced before using, as most need new O-rings, brine valve or pistons, a thorough cleaning, possibly new resin beads, whatever.

Dom.

Nothing more than a cursory look. Does tank have salt, is it plugged in, and which direction is the by-pass valve in. I look for a reverse osmosis system. But it's all observation and not assessment of operation.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Brian Harwood Guest

Thanks to everyone for your responses.