Mike Boyett Guest

Default TREC Inspectors Committee Notes

OREP Insurance

Default Re: TREC Inspectors Committee Notes

Mike, thanks for the update. I appreciate you taking the time and initiative to gather and pass this information along.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Mike,

Thank you very much for your dedication and time away to be able to make this available for us "remote" HIs.

Mike Boyett Guest

Jim, Nolan,
    You're welcome. I enjoy going to the meetings and wish it were closer to more Texas inspectors so they could attend. There's a chance that some of the future meetings will be held via tele-conference which may allow some more folks to at least 'listen in' on the meetings.

Richard Stanley Guest

Thank you, Mike. I look forward to your reports.

Mike, thanks again. The distance factor is very limiting for me in addition to the time to attend. Google puts it at 223 miles and just under 4 hours each way for me. I am sure there are lots of west Texas guys that would think that is no big deal. Of course in most of the eastern states, you could travel across two or three states in that amount of time.

Web casting might be a better possibility rather than tele-conferencing.

Can someone fill me in on the purpose and scope of the inspector committee? Is it purely advisory?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Mike Boyett Guest

Jim, the Inspectors Committee is an advisory group to the Texas Real Estate Commission. They are charged with reviewing, maintaining, modifying, etc the rules that TREC uses to govern HI's and then recommending changes. The laws are written and passed by the legislature and TREC is charged with enforcing them but that cannot make or pass laws themself. They can write the rules though to support the laws. Since TREC is made up of public members and real estate members then they rely upon the Inspectors Committee to advise them on matters. The Inspectors Committee has been working on revising the Stds of Practice for quite awhile and that will be the main impetus over the next few months.

I agree that webcasting would be better but you have to remember we are dealing with a state agency that is under funded and under staffed and they have few resources so just an open link to hear the committee meetings would be an improvement.

Last edited by Mike Boyett; 10-30-2007 at 05:00 AM.