Thread: Smoke detectors

Default Smoke detectors

Can you guys save me some time and let me know when the IRC required smoke detectors in each bedroom?
    Thanks

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Smoke detectors

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Edwards View Post
    Can you guys save me some time and let me know when the IRC required smoke detectors in each bedroom?
    Thanks
    The first IRC, the 2000 IRC, as shown below (but smoke alarms were required by other codes prior to that):
    - R317.1 Single- and multiple-station smoke alarms.
    - - Single- and multiple–station smoke alarms shall be installed in the following locations:
    - - - 1. In each sleeping room.
    - - - 2. Outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms.
    - - - 3. On each additional story of the dwelling, including basements and cellars but not including crawl spaces and uninhabitable attics. In dwellings or dwelling units with split levels and without an intervening door between the adjacent levels, a smoke alarm installed on the upper level shall suffice for the adjacent lower level provided that the lower level is less than one full story below the upper level.
    - - When more than one smoke alarm is required to be installed within an individual dwelling unit the alarm devices shall be interconnected in such a manner that the actuation of one alarm will activate all of the alarms in the individual unit. The alarm shall be clearly audible in all bedrooms over background noise levels with all intervening doors closed.
    - - All smoke alarms shall be listed and installed in accordance with the provisions of this code and the household fire warning equipment provisions of NFPA 72.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks

Wayne,

I have taken this one step farther and I am recommending that the smoke detectors should be photoelectric also. So along with the standard placement requirement I recommend that Ionization units should not be relied on exclusively.

I think ASHI has taken this position also on Ion vs Photo.

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hester View Post
    Wayne,

I have taken this one step farther and I am recommending that the smoke detectors should be photoelectric also. So along with the standard placement requirement I recommend that Ionization units should not be relied on exclusively.

I think ASHI has taken this position also on Ion vs Photo.

I do the same.