Clay White Guest

Default Gas Meter to Window - where to measure

Last edited by Clay White; 01-02-2008 at 02:16 PM.
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Gas Meter to Window - where to measure

Clay,

Please see attached.

Attached Files Attached Files
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lynch View Post
    now, come on. who is going to comment on a gas meter that is just a few inches short of 3 feet from the window? New construction, yes. Older construction no.
    Scott,

If it's wrong it's wrong.The attachment looks like the distance is measured from the center of the meter by a string to the opening of the window.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 10-28-2007 at 09:18 PM. Reason: added k
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lynch View Post
    now, come on. who is going to comment on a gas meter that is just a few inches short of 3 feet from the window? New construction, yes. Older construction no.
    The information that is available to us says 3 feet. We (as home inspectors) are not qualified to determine if anything less than 3 feet is safe. We may have opinions but it is only an opinion.

Why is it unsafe for new construction but not for older construction? I would think it is unsafe for both. Until other information comes out saying something less than 3 feet is safe, I plan on reporting this.

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Scott,

If it's wrong it's wrong.The attachment looks lie the distance is measured from the center of the meter by a string to the opening of the window.

It appears that most of the measurements are from the gas regulator. When I was able to talk to the local gas company, they informed me that the 3 foot clearance was from the gas port at the regulator to the item that can ignite gas. So if the edge of the air conditioner is located less then 3 feet from the gas regulator, that by itself was fine. Now if the electrical controls (such as a contactor) or the fan motor is less than 3 feet from the gas regulator port, that requires correction.

If you think that this is an issue you should check with the local utility company. Don't forget that the utility company can make it's own rules, they do not have to abide by any code/rule/guideline other than their own. I would guess that since the gas company set the meter at the house that it would be OK, but the only way to know is to contact the service dept.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    If you think that this is an issue you should check with the local utility company. Don't forget that the utility company can make it's own rules, they do not have to abide by any code/rule/guideline other than their own. I would guess that since the gas company set the meter at the house that it would be OK, but the only way to know is to contact the service dept.
    This is where I think it gets confusing for some home inspectors (especially the ones that are just starting). Most home inspectors (that I know of) do not do code inspections. I refer to codes to help explain the proper way something should be installed. If you look at a situation and feel it is a safety issue, then call it out. When corrections are made, they should follow what the manufacture says or what is written in the code book depending on the problem.

I see a furnace or water heater in a garage that is not protect by some type of barrier, I'll call it out. I see a gas meter installed next to a driveway with no type of protection, I'll call it out. I don't care what the town or city thinks.

Wording these issues in the report, now that is a different story.

Just a note: The service department for the local utility company is the same as other service departments. You have some that know a lot and some that know a little. Do not rely on those guys, call the person in charge and remember his name and hope that name doesn't change quite a bit like it did around here.