Default drain tile not extending into sump pit

1998 Construction. Normally I see drain tile extending into the pit but on this one I did not. Shouldn't there be drain tiles extending into the pit?

What problems can happen without them?

P1060436.JPG

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: drain tile not extending into sump pit

I usually see this type installation when the sump pit is added after the house is constructed and gravel is placed around the liner to stop soils under the concrete floor from being undermined from water entry. Also have seen this type of installation in older homes where no weepers were ever installed and to hinder water coming up and flooding the basement.

Pictures are from todays inspection. Circa 1950 house with no weepers, and high water table. Sump pump when working prevented flooding due to high water table.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    1998 Construction. Normally I see drain tile extending into the pit but on this one I did not. Shouldn't there be drain tiles extending into the pit?

What problems can happen without them?

P1060436.JPG
    Appears to be a Galvanized Sump Basin with drainage holes ( no drain tiles required )
    *it's metal and will rust out wherein tiles will not.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I agree with Ray, it looks like it was added and was not part of the original construction. Or at least that is what I have seen with sumps that are added post construction.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

It's a plastic pit. I'm pretty sure it was part of the original construction in 1998 since the drain pipe from the basement bulkhead stairway terminates in the pit. So does the floor drain for the hvac condensate. Here's a pic of the other side where these pipes come in.

P1060434.JPG

The weeping tile could be installed short of the pit so its not exposed. If the sump is installed post construction the concrete around the sump would be noticeable from the rest of the concrete floor.

Or the weepers are being discharged to storm sewers via gravity and only the condensate and basement entry drain are emptying to the sump?

This is a good example of why home inspectors are not required to report on underground drains and things we can't see.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Was there any stone in the bottom of the pit? If not, it's probably OK. If there is then I would recommend a PVC fitting be installed with a screen.

RJDalga
    http://homeanalysts.com
    Kalamazoo, MI