Brian Harwood Guest

Default Wind Mitigation Question for Florida Inspectors

Good morning everyone,

Can a wind mitigation be performed on a home with no attic or attic entry or entry only to a garage attic? We have modular homes in our area of Central Florida and most have cathedral ceilings with no attic and others have attic spaces over the garage. My question pertains to verify construction for categories 3 (Roof Deck Attachment), 4 (Roof to Wall Attachment), and 6 (SWR). If there is no attic, I would presume the response would be "No Attic Access." However, if there is only a garage with attic access, can you use your findings in that area for the entire home?

Thanks for your time.

Inspection Referral

Default Re: Wind Mitigation Question for Florida Inspectors

I don't see how you can make an accurate inference about the construction of the home, built in a factory, by inspecting the garage, built onsite.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I am hoping Dom will reply to his question as Dom knows more about the wind mitigation inspections than I do.

I think there are options to check such as 'Not Confirmed', 'Unknown', etc. where you cannot access the area - all that means is that there is no insurance discount applied as the item is not known to be better.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

There are options on the OIR Form 1802 for these conditions. "No Attic Access" or "Unknown" are 2 of the choices.

However, if the garage is part of the house, the construction of the roof can be verified from that attic.

The roof to wall connection can be verified at the eave; you can (with permission, and if you want to) pull a section of the soffit to view the connection and take the required photograph. You may also see the sheathing nails/staples and spacing from there if you're lucky.

If the garage and house aren't the same build, then it's all "Unknown" or "No Attic Access".

Frankly, if you can't verify the roof deck attachment and fastener type/spacing, and the roof to wall connection, then the report has minimal value in Central Florida, unless they invested in opening protection or rated windows/doors.

Dom.

Brian Harwood Guest

Thanks to all for your responses.

Dom,

One other question, in section 2 "Roof Covering" to answer "A" do you have to have the FBC Approval listing number as indicated in a permit or the like?

Thanks again,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harwood View Post
    Dom,

One other question, in section 2 "Roof Covering" to answer "A" do you have to have the FBC Approval listing number as indicated in a permit or the like?

Thanks again,

Brian
    If there is a permit for the roof, and it meets the timeline set forth, your OK.

The approval data isn't necessary if the roof was permitted within the specified time period.

Get familiar with you local permitting departments web site, and how they list roof replacements.

If there's doubt, and you have no documentation, then record it as "unknown" or similar. Don't guess, and don't assume.

Dom.

Brian Harwood Guest

Thanks Dom, I really appreciate your time and thoughts. Brian