Default Soften Cold Water To Kitchen

Does anyone recommend a pluming change if the cold water line to the kitchen sink and refrigerator water dispenser is softened? Thanks

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Soften Cold Water To Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by John A Duncan View Post
    ... is softened?
    What do you mean by "is softened"?

What material is it and how did you determine it has softened? Curious as to what you are referring to.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Perhaps you mean conditioned?

If they don't want to drink softened water, they can add a RO filter.

If you have a heart condition or kidney problems or on sodium reduced diet the small amount of salt in the softened water added by the water softener should avoided and since foods are over salted too... Way to much salt in our diets. Very bad for kidneys and high blood pressure et ceteras.

Since I am on a well with iron and its hard water I put in double sediment filter, UV light, and then a triple filter system plumbed to water dispenser/ice maker for fridge and spigot at kitchen sink. The triple filter system has two carbon filters and reverse osmosis filter.

The water is better then bottled and everyone comments on the taste and quality.

Most water softeners up here most always bypass the cold water side at the kitchen sink and by pass the outside spigot so there is no salt added to these outlets, but remember the water will not be softened.

I wouldn't recommend a plumbing change; however I suppose you could bring it to the clients attention as an FYI if you feel it's important. One could always tap into the cold water supply before the softener/conditioner and run a small line to the kitchen sink for drinking.

RJDalga
    http://homeanalysts.com
    Kalamazoo, MI

In my home, I decided to plumb the kitchen sink and refrigerator to the softened water line. We were having issues with calcium build-up in pots, the faucet, and the fridge. We feel that the amount of additional sodium is insubstantial when compared to eating out, so we don't worry about it. Another solution would be to use KCl instead of NaCl in the water softener, resulting in soft water with no added sodium.

Does anyone recommend a pluming change if the cold water line to the kitchen sink and refrigerator water dispenser is softened? Thanks
    I might point it out, but generally don't even consider it a report-able item in the first place. If they have health issues they need to check into it and ensure the softener is set correctly. Many, if not most, are not set up properly for the previous owners let alone the new ones so I tell them to call the company on the installation label for a free water test and adjustment. Most of the companies I know will do that in hopes of a new salt customer and repair business.

Thank you all for the replies. It is always nice to get the information for your peers rather than a web page.

Sorry Jerry for not getting back to you sooner, things have been on the move of late. Around here we have hard water, lots of minerals in the water, so water softer systems are installed to remove those minerals. That’s what I was referring to when I said “is softened”. Maybe I should have used the word “conditioned” like Dom stated.

Maybe I should have used the word “conditioned” like Dom stated.
    How about saying the there is a water conditioner present as you don't know if the water is even "conditioned"?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    How about saying the there is a water conditioner present as you don't know if the water is even "conditioned"?
    Great point, I will remember that for next time.