Scott Snipper Guest

Default Metal Bulding Relocation

Hello all, my first post...
    If you want to buy and relocate an installed metal kit building from another county to unincorporated San Diego County CA.; what permits are required? Assume the building can be easily disassembled and transported in a rental truck and is for private Accessory building use. The structure is 800 sq/ft and 12 ft high with one power circuit that is run from the main structure panel and will be assembled 5' from the property line. Geology testing, zoning permits, building foundation permits are a given. But what else...?

Inspection Referral

Hello Scott Snipper,

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your visit here at InspectionNews and if there is anything I can help you with just let me know.

In the upper left of the page there is a gift for business owners and one for home buyers, sellers or DIYers. This gift is from me to you. I hope you like it.

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Metal Bulding Relocation

Welcome,

You would do better calling the local Permit Office. See if there is a web site for that location for guidance. It is best to get the word from the horse's mouth on permits and other requirements. Even side set backs vary.

Scott Snipper Guest

Garry, I agree, and I've reached out to the SDcounty building permit office multiple times. The challenge is that they are so busy all I can do is leave a voice message with a specific question; in a day or three I'll get a return voice message with a short answer to my question. At this rate I'll be retired before I sort out the best approach for building my accessory structure. I'm considering taking a day off and going down to their office but I suspect I'll just waist a day waiting to speak to someone; haven't found any way to schedule an appointment. My strategy is to map out as much as I can on my own and ask key questions on the building permit voice messaging systems to verify that I'm on the right track. Unfortunately the available resources are sparse and vague.

Unless you get very lucky, it is not likely that anyone on this forum can answer a question regarding what permits are required in a specific area. It varies too much depending upon location, etc.

Scott Snipper Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    Unless you get very lucky, it is not likely that anyone on this forum can answer a question regarding what permits are required in a specific area. It varies too much depending upon location, etc.
    Thanks Mark, I appreciate the feedback.

Big county, big bureaucracy and its California. Your government at work = (your time x 10)/0

I looked at the following which seems to lay out the process. Pack a lunch when you go.

County of San Diego: Building Plan Pre-Submittal Review

County of San Diego: Building Division News