Thread: Name change???

Default Name change???

Was just contacted by a realtor asking to change the name on an already delivered report. She said because the lenders under writer will require it. The name on the report is the same as who electronically signed the agreement. The name she wants it changed to is the same last name but different first name, maybe a brother or son?
    Any thoughts?

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Name change???

Draw up another contract with the changed names on it and have it signed.

Ask the real estate agent to provide a letter from the underwriter who's name should be on the report, and why, then draw up another contract with that name on it ... that raises the whiff of 'it does not pass the smell test' going with it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yet another reason not to deliver the inspection report to the lender. I always advise my clients not to give them anything they do not demand. It just muddies the water and delays the closing. My client is the one that paid me and he determines the name on the report.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I have contacted my client to see if he has an explanation.

Ya - this one does not pass the smell test at all. If the lender "requires it" then they should be able to accept the one produced for the buyer. Otherwise I might want another fee (to cover insurance - you are now producing another work product for another entity. I would also only deliver it to the person named on the contract , so if the banks underwriter wants it - that is where is goes after you receive payment from them and I certainly would not give this to the Realtor (who will use it as a pre-inspection report for potential home buyers and tell them they do not need to get a home inspection.

Hey Jerry - any liability on the inspectors part if someone else uses the report as a buying decision tool (just curious , your more on the legal end of things)

That would depend on whose name is going on the mortgage. If the parents signed for the inspection and paid for the inspection on behalf of their son (acting as his agent), and their son is actually the one seeking the mortgage then there should be no problem legally as the its the mortgage applicant/holder of mortgage whose name will registered on title.. if that is the case as presented by the Realtor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Doane View Post
    Hey Jerry - any liability on the inspectors part if someone else uses the report as a buying decision tool (just curious , your more on the legal end of things)
    United States Dwight,

Yes, for sure, in some places of the United States.

"Where" in the "United States" are you ... it helps to put your actual location there ... might as well put "Earth" there.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yes , United States - it was more of a general question as to what you may have seen.

I do see problems with changing the name , even if the contract is singed after the inspection is done (to change the name) and wording should be careful to specify it is for the report of the inspection on this date at this time , after all it could be argued that one accepted the contract and did not re-inspect (as something might have occurred)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    United States Dwight,

Yes, for sure, in some places of the United States.

"Where" in the "United States" are you ... it helps to put your actual location there ... might as well put "Earth" there.

Maybe I missed something but where in the OP question did he state the report was to be changed as to findings? Only the name on the report is to be changed to read who the mortgage holder will be, big difference.

I agree with Jim and Jerry. The only time I've changed a name is on an FHA compliance report because those have to be the same as other FHA docs.

When you ask questions on this forum, the guys like to answer. But they like to know where you're from, not just United States. You can change it in your profile under About Me.

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Quote Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
    Was just contacted by a realtor asking to change the name on an already delivered report. She said because the lenders under writer will require it. The name on the report is the same as who electronically signed the agreement. The name she wants it changed to is the same last name but different first name, maybe a brother or son?
    Any thoughts?
    Agree with Ray, Just send them a new contract. Like they say "keep it simple"

Fidel F. Gonzales
    RELIANT INSPECTION SERVICE
    http://www.reliant-corp.com