Default HI pro keeps crashing in field

I'm actually in the field writing this... Anyone else using HI pro on newest iPad and if so, has it crashed for you? I just lost an hour of work because I didn't return to the home screen and save. Which I think is a joke in and of itself.

Member Benefits1

Default Re: HI pro keeps crashing in field

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I'm actually in the field writing this... Anyone else using HI pro on newest iPad and if so, has it crashed for you? I just lost an hour of work because I didn't return to the home screen and save. Which I think is a joke in and of itself.
    Give Dominic a shout on the HIP website. I'm using it on an iPad Air with no problems. Do you have the latest version of the software and the app?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Give Dominic a shout on the HIP website. I'm using it on an iPad Air with no problems. Do you have the latest version of the software and the app?
    Hey Scott, I've called over there with this issue but there is little they can do from there, but I have done all that they suggested. On my end I have remove the app and reloaded it...R&R the template but it still crashes. IDK, its just such a waste of time to have to re do on site.

Even if it just saved automatically that would be a huge help.

Hey Scott, I've called over there with this issue but there is little they can do from there, but I have done all that they suggested. On my end I have remove the app and reloaded it...R&R the template but it still crashes. IDK, its just such a waste of time to have to re do on site.

Even if it just saved automatically that would be a huge help.
    Sorry, I can't help more... I'm one of their beta testers and we are connected to an app that HIP gets reports on problems automatically if they happen.

Has it ever worked for you on this iPad?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Hi Marc,

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems but I'm super confused. I have no email from you about this, I don't show in our logs that you've called us for at least 3 months (where you went on about how much you loved HIP Mobile) and the last ticket you submitted was almost a year ago. I looked under Michelle to and didn't see it. Am I missing something?

The iPad and Android version DO automatically save every time you return back to the main list of sections. How do you not go back to the main list of rooms more than once an hour? Especially on your template where you have about 40 different sections/rooms.

There's even a backup file that's saved every time so we can help you restore anything lost just in case anything does happen.

I'd love to help you on this and can set you up on our beta program like Scott so we see every crash and any details. But you need to make sure to reach out to me so I know what's going on!

Home Inspector Pro - Home Inspection Software & Home Inspection Website Hosting
    Runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iPad. Import HomeGauge, 3D & InspectVue Narratives!

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Maricic View Post
    Hi Marc,

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems but I'm super confused. I have no email from you about this, I don't show in our logs that you've called us for at least 3 months (where you went on about how much you loved HIP Mobile) and the last ticket you submitted was almost a year ago. I looked under Michelle to and didn't see it. Am I missing something?

The iPad and Android version DO automatically save every time you return back to the main list of sections. How do you not go back to the main list of rooms more than once an hour? Especially on your template where you have about 40 different sections/rooms.

There's even a backup file that's saved every time so we can help you restore anything lost just in case anything does happen.

I'd love to help you on this and can set you up on our beta program like Scott so we see every crash and any details. But you need to make sure to reach out to me so I know what's going on!
    This is the same issue that we contact you on over 3 months ago. Actually, it was about the same time the Ipad updated to new Op system.
    How do I not go back to the main list in an hour?? Easy 27,000 sq ft house stuck on grounds section for two hours...that's how. Seriously?
    What back up file? your program just went from grounds section to your home screen. Then everything I entered up to that point after main menu was lost.
    Michelle went through this with your guy who just told her to reload the template. Ive done this a few times and every time I do this, I get a new section that wont allow me to save comments on-the-fly. I really dont see the point for calling you guys on this "new" issue.You'll just say "nobody else" has this issue.

Of course there's a point! If you don't us thst what was suggested doesn't work then how can I possibly fix the problem you have? You do have a very abnormal template in the number of sections so you're likely to experience things that no one else does. That doesn't make you wrong, it just means that we need as much info as possible from you to correct it.

As Scott mentioned we've had several beta updates over the last few months that you could have tried if we had know there was an issue.

Yes, there is a backup file for each save. It might not have helped you with this issue but it's something that could have been tried if we'd known.

HIP Mobile originally auto saved after each item within a section but lots of guys complained that they didn't like waiting for the save, so we moved it to section menu only. An easy fix for you would be to return to the list of sections every 15 minutes or so to force a save.

If you'd like more help feel free to email me all the iPad specs, the hzf file from a large job that had this issue etc. It could be something as simple as running out of memory on the large jobs, or something else. Remember, iPads aren't really designed for hours and hours of heavy use on end so we have to make lots of adjustments to keep them running smoothly. Coming into the forums and complaining without actually talking to me about an issue certainly won't help you.

Runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iPad. Import HomeGauge, 3D & InspectVue Narratives!

Of course there's a point! If you don't us thst what was suggested doesn't work then how can I possibly fix the problem you have? You do have a very abnormal template in the number of sections so you're likely to experience things that no one else does. That doesn't make you wrong, it just means that we need as much info as possible from you to correct it.

As Scott mentioned we've had several beta updates over the last few months that you could have tried if we had know there was an issue.

Yes, there is a backup file for each save. It might not have helped you with this issue but it's something that could have been tried if we'd known.

HIP Mobile originally auto saved after each item within a section but lots of guys complained that they didn't like waiting for the save, so we moved it to section menu only. An easy fix for you would be to return to the list of sections every 15 minutes or so to force a save.

If you'd like more help feel free to email me all the iPad specs, the hzf file from a large job that had this issue etc. It could be something as simple as running out of memory on the large jobs, or something else. Remember, iPads aren't really designed for hours and hours of heavy use on end so we have to make lots of adjustments to keep them running smoothly. Coming into the forums and complaining without actually talking to me about an issue certainly won't help you.
    Okay, so yo have this program and CSR's to help with issues with this program...you're saying that my issues are totally new to you? Out of all the users not one single person has experienced the issues I am having? I find that totally hard to believe. I can send you my template which Ive tried on all three of our Ipads (all newer) and they will all have the same issues and you can try them in the field as we do and see the issues were having. Doing the phone tech thing isnt working.
    And yes, forums are the place to go to get answers to questions with others who may have experienced similar issues that use the software as much as we do. Just because Im having issues with your product in a public forum isnt a reason to try discount my issue or point in here or make me look as if I have never called you.
    These people who "like" your comments do so because I have an issue with this software and collectively you guys think I shouldn't go in here to find answers. Really? This isnt romper room
    The reality is this program cost us money each time it fails. Real money.

I think you need to reread my post. I specifically said that even though you might be the only one with the issue that it doesn't mean the issue isn't real. Yes, you're the only one I've seen. As others have posted here, they're fine. But your template is 10x larger than anyone else's which means it will stretch the memory limits of the iPad. Either way, though the point is that I can't help you if I don't know there's an issue. Since you never called back after talking to my guys they considered the issue closed.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you need to reread my post. I specifically said that even though you might be the only one with the issue that it doesn't mean the issue isn't real. Yes, you're the only one I've seen. As others have posted here, they're fine. But your template is 10x larger than anyone else's which means it will stretch the memory limits of the iPad. Either way, though the point is that I can't help you if I don't know there's an issue. Since you never called back after talking to my guys they considered the issue closed.

HIP Mobile originally auto saved after each item within a section but lots of guys complained that they didn't like waiting for the save, so we moved it to section menu only. An easy fix ...
    Not having knowledge of HIP Mobile (or any other current software or apps for that matter) - an easy fix would be to allow the individual inspector to select and set their auto save time themselves. That way, the guys that don't want to wait for the save process don't have to, and the guys that don't want to lose data when there is a crash can auto save every 3-5-10 minutes or whatever they want to set it too.

When I was doing inspections and using my own software (which sat on top of WordPerfect) I had it auto save every 3 minutes at first, then (because of having to wait during the auto save process) I set it to every 10 minutes - the most I ever lost after that was the last 10 minutes, which was basically still in my mind anyway. Of course, though, my hardware back then (started inspections on a notebook in 1994) was not comparable to what is available today, so I would think that auto save would not take the time it did back then.

Marc, have you considered having your own cloud server (wireless backup) at your inspections and having it automatically save everything thing you do? No lost data as long as you are within range of your wireless back cloud (realizing that a 27,000 sf house could easily put you out or range of your own cloud backup).

Hmmmm ... maybe they can make your own cloud wireless back using a notebook hard drive, in which case it would be light enough, and small enough, to carry in your pocket and you would always be within range of your cloud.

Better yet ... create a device which serves as your own cloud using one of the 128 GB XC SD cards - very low power requirements, very small size, very portable, etc. - if I had the know how I would do that and retire ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Not having knowledge of HIP Mobile (or any other current software or apps for that matter) - an easy fix would be to allow the individual inspector to select and set their auto save time themselves. That way, the guys that don't want to wait for the save process don't have to, and the guys that don't want to lose data when there is a crash can auto save every 3-5-10 minutes or whatever they want to set it too.

When I was doing inspections and using my own software (which sat on top of WordPerfect) I had it auto save every 3 minutes at first, then (because of having to wait during the auto save process) I set it to every 10 minutes - the most I ever lost after that was the last 10 minutes, which was basically still in my mind anyway. Of course, though, my hardware back then (started inspections on a notebook in 1994) was not comparable to what is available today, so I would think that auto save would not take the time it did back then.

Marc, have you considered having your own cloud server (wireless backup) at your inspections and having it automatically save everything thing you do? No lost data as long as you are within range of your wireless back cloud (realizing that a 27,000 sf house could easily put you out or range of your own cloud backup).

Hmmmm ... maybe they can make your own cloud wireless back using a notebook hard drive, in which case it would be light enough, and small enough, to carry in your pocket and you would always be within range of your cloud.

Better yet ... create a device which serves as your own cloud using one of the 128 GB XC SD cards - very low power requirements, very small size, very portable, etc. - if I had the know how I would do that and retire ...
    I never looked into the cloud server but i will. I didn't know such a thing existed. I have my own server which is nice for our websites and storage and such but the cloud thing I am interested in. Sounds somewhat similar.

Western Digital My Cloud 3TB Personal Cloud Storage NAS WDBCTL0030HWT NESN 718037811055 | eBay

In glancing through the reviews it seems almost 10-1 that people like it, but ... the 1 in 10 that don't like it really don't like it - that said, I have not read the reviews all the way through, just glanced as some of them.

It is a great idea, for sure, execution is always key to great ideas - then comes improvements and reductions in size and better performance (i.e., I like my small SD card size I mentioned, wonder if anyone is working on it ... probably are now ).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

Yup, I'd considered it a few times. Sounds like it's a good time to add it in! I'll have the next version with a Save after every item or Save after every section option

Yup, I'd considered it a few times. Sounds like it's a good time to add it in! I'll have the next version with a Save after every item or Save after every section option
    You should probably update the desktop version at some point as well..

You should probably update the desktop version at some point as well..
    I'm pretty sure the desktop version of HIP has had a couple of updates over the past year where as the mobile has had many, mostly due to the iOS and its quirks from what I have seen.

Desktop and mobile work fine for me now, I find most if any issues I have now are caused by me..

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I'm pretty sure the desktop version of HIP has had a couple of updates over the past year where as the mobile has had many, mostly due to the iOS and its quirks from what I have seen.

Desktop and mobile work fine for me now, I find most if any issues I have now are caused by me..
    Scott, are you tanking images in the field with the Ipad or with a separate camera?

Scott, are you tanking images in the field with the Ipad or with a separate camera?
    I use a "real" camera.... I just can't see toting an iPad or for that matter any type of computer around the house. I keep the iPad setup in the kitchen with my tool bag and other stuff. I just make periodic stops and input the data. Then merge in photos back at the office. A couple of times I have taken a few photos with the iPad just see what it was like and quickly discovered it to be more time consuming than using a camera.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I use a "real" camera.... I just can't see toting an iPad or for that matter any type of computer around the house. I keep the iPad setup in the kitchen with my tool bag and other stuff. I just make periodic stops and input the data. Then merge in photos back at the office. A couple of times I have taken a few photos with the iPad just see what it was like and quickly discovered it to be more time consuming than using a camera.
    I agree, I do the same. Just a pain in the butt to have to go back to the office and load 200+ pics if the house was a POS, then add captions. I find myself tacking-on another hour to the inspection at home just with images.
    Not sure if its with HI pro only but my friend uses another software program and he can take a pic and add a caption in just a fraction of the time. Another buddy uses a program that drops the image under the comment as opposed to lumping them all together, thus eliminating the need for captions (unless desired). Either are significantly faster than HIP. Also, these guys have a life when they get home. Not sitting behind a computer for hours pumping out reports by having to add their images.

I seldom add an extra caption to any photo, I just place it in the section that it belongs. Why put a caption on a photo when you are describing the issue in the verbiage in your report. Sometimes I add an arrow, etc. I also do not add a tremendous amount of photos, not every item I find will have a photo. Things like dripping faucets, a loose hinge, and simple things I can describe easily do not make the photo lineup. I would say a typical report with 10-15 items needing addressing might have 6-10 photos.

I think folks are getting lazy in their reporting skills and are depending too much on the photos telling the story. Too many photos in a report will slow you down in both reporting time and inspecting time. I have seen inspectors so worried about taking that perfect picture they sometimes miss the forest because of the trees.

My work day is over normally in the 5-6pm range, sometimes it is several hours earlier and sometimes it is later in the evening but I'm the one that decides my hours based on the homes and buildings I choose to inspect. Yes, I choose my work, it does not choose me. I have worked very hard to reach a level where I don't take every job that comes my way.... I interview callers just as much as they interview me and I price my jobs and have openings in my schedule based on how I feel about the client and project. I say all this to point out that I finish my reports at my home office and I'm never in a rush to complete a job on site or worried about taking work back home with me.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I seldom add an extra caption to any photo, I just place it in the section that it belongs. Why put a caption on a photo when you are describing the issue in the verbiage in your report. Sometimes I add an arrow, etc. I also do not add a tremendous amount of photos, not every item I find will have a photo. Things like dripping faucets, a loose hinge, and simple things I can describe easily do not make the photo lineup. I would say a typical report with 10-15 items needing addressing might have 6-10 photos.

I think folks are getting lazy in their reporting skills and are depending too much on the photos telling the story. Too many photos in a report will slow you down in both reporting time and inspecting time. I have seen inspectors so worried about taking that perfect picture they sometimes miss the forest because of the trees.

My work day is over normally in the 5-6pm range, sometimes it is several hours earlier and sometimes it is later in the evening but I'm the one that decides my hours based on the homes and buildings I choose to inspect. Yes, I choose my work, it does not choose me. I have worked very hard to reach a level where I don't take every job that comes my way.... I interview callers just as much as they interview me and I price my jobs and have openings in my schedule based on how I feel about the client and project. I say all this to point out that I finish my reports at my home office and I'm never in a rush to complete a job on site or worried about taking work back home with me.
    I agree but still, but if you wanted to use the Ipad as your sole way of taking images to store for CYA, it would add an extra hour to the inspection I guess was really my point.

One of the things that drew me to HIP was the speed at which I could batch add photos. I am at the other end of the picture spectrum from Scott. I agree that in some cases the captions are slightly redundant but I have spent many phone calls describing to a seller's agent or contractor what the issue is. With pictures I can always refer to the picture and for all but the blind/ deaf folks they usual get it. For most inspections I take between 60 and 100 pics and use 1/3rd of those. I love the batch add and the speed of the report creation. Hopefully the next version will address issues such as you can't set HIP to anything other than its C:\program \ HIP data directory or the lack of auto-save on the Pc or the print feature doesn't remember the directly you have saved the file to previously. Native Acrobat does but HIPs driver doesn't.

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

I agree but still, but if you wanted to use the Ipad as your sole way of taking images to store for CYA, it would add an extra hour to the inspection I guess was really my point.
    Not true. Many guys take all their pictures on site with an iPad/iPhone. The average time added is negligible versus doing it later at home. You'll probably add 15 minutes on average but you're saving that time on the back end since you're already in the section when you take them. I'm assuming you're not actually including all 200 photos in the report though. Captions are auto filled using the [[CAPTION]] feature and selected comments from that section so you're rarely typing them in. I followed two home inspectors around this week on the new house I'm getting actually and both did exactly that. His CYA photos were put into the MISC section on the main mobile version so they didn't need to go into a section. I can put you into contact with a few guys that do this if you'd like to talk to them.

I'm not sure if I understand your comment about the desktop version. There's been 4 or 5 updates to the desktop version in the last year. There hasn't been any in the last 3 months except for the beta version on the forum as we're working on a few huge features and the HIP 4 release coming out soon.