Brian Harwood Guest

Default Extension Cord Inside Cabinet to Power Two Wine Fridges

The homeowner has installed two small wine refrigerators in a custom cabinet. They are both plugged into a larger than normal grounded extension cord and then into a 20 amp dedicated receptacle. They were run for two hours and the extension cord was not warm and the breaker did not trip. Obviously not an ideal set up, but other than possible damage to the cord and electrical shock, your thoughts as to potential issues? Thanks!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Extension Cord Inside Cabinet to Power Two Wine Fridges

Cords are not permitted to be run through walls of cabinets (with the exception of cords on things like a dishwasher with the appropriate appliance cord), or any other walls.

There are additional limitations and restrictions on the use of cords, especially those extension cords.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Brian Harwood Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Cords are not permitted to be run through walls of cabinets (with the exception of cords on things like a dishwasher with the appropriate appliance cord), or any other walls.

There are additional limitations and restrictions on the use of cords, especially those extension cords.
    Good afternoon Jerry,

Can you advise specifically where I can find the limitations and restrictions?

Thanks,

Brian

Brian,

In the NEC, 400.6 Uses Permitted and 400.7 Uses Not Permitted, as I recall.

When I get back to my office a little later I can post those sections for you.

In addition to those sections is a table which lists the various types of flexible cords and their major approved use (dry location, damp location, wet location). Those cords probably are SPT-2 and suitable for use in dry locations (they are in dry locations) - this is where the Uses Permitted and Uses Not Permitted come in.

The Uses Not Permitted is more general in nature than the Uses Permitted with the exception of the one which states not permitted unless specifically permitted under Uses Permitted.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Had my code section numbers off by one subsection: 400.7 and 400.8 ... also had my wording off slightly on the "Unless specifically permitted in 400.7" part:

From the 2008 NEC (so I can copy and paste it):

- 400.7 Uses Permitted.
    - - (A) Uses. Flexible cords and cables shall be used only for the following:
    - - - (1) Pendants
    - - - (2) Wiring of luminaires
    - - - (3) Connection of portable luminaires, portable and mobile signs, or appliances
    - - - (4) Elevator cables
    - - - (5) Wiring of cranes and hoists
    - - - (6) Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent interchange
    - - - (7) Prevention of the transmission of noise or vibration
    - - - (8) Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection
    - - - (9) Connection of moving parts
    - - - (10) Where specifically permitted elsewhere in this Code
    - - (B) Attachment Plugs. Where used as permitted in 400.7(A)(3), (A)(6), and (A)(8), each flexible cord shall be equipped with an attachment plug and shall be energized from a receptacle outlet.
    - - - Exception: As permitted in 368.56.

- 400.8 Uses Not Permitted.
    - - Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:
    - - - (1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
    - - - (2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors
    - - - (3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings
    - - - (4) Where attached to building surfaces
    - - - - Exception to (4): Flexible cord and cable shall be permitted to be attached to building surfaces in accordance with the provisions of 368.56(B)
    - - - (5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings
    - - - (6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted in this Code
    - - - (7) Where subject to physical damage

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Brian Harwood Guest

Thanks to everyone for your responses and especially to you Jerry for going the extra mile (as always)!

Brian

Flexible cord is not permitted to substitute for perm wiring, as soon as a cord passes through a wall, partition, doorway, & so on it is not OK.