Default Second Deck Question

I thought I had this information, but I can't find it. There are limitations to how far you can span with three 2x12 stringers, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone remember how far you can go until you need some mid span support for the stringers?

Crawl Space Creeper
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Default Re: Second Deck Question

To answer the question we need to know what the beam is supporting. Floor joists framed in from one side or two? length of joists?

Rushed through that post. These are stair stringers. 36" wide steps, 3 stringers. Rise is about 8 feet. I didn't pull the horizontal span, which I probably will need. Probably about 12 feet with an 11" run. I'm thinking 11 feet is the longest, but I don't know where I had that number. Or maybe I just imagined the whole thing.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

I don't remember a specific maximum span. The only thing I can think of is the total maximum rise of 12'. How did it feel when you walked on it?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    I don't remember a specific maximum span. The only thing I can think of is the total maximum rise of 12'. How did it feel when you walked on it?
    Mid range bounciness. Very tenuous fastening at the top, some toe screws - no blocking or brackets. Whole thing screamed homeowner built after getting the CO on the house.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    I thought I had this information, but I can't find it. There are limitations to how far you can span with three 2x12 stringers, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone remember how far you can go until you need some mid span support for the stringers?

Not sure if this is what you had, but the AWC has a 6 foot max span (cut stringers), based on the 2009 IRC.

See page 3:

http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

WI is looking at adopting this guide for their code.

That was pretty close to what I was remembering, except it's only about half as long as I thought. Not much southern pine here, so even six foot is more than it should have without a center support.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA