Thread: Code question

Default Code question

I am involved in a court case, and although my services do not include arguing code, I do have to argue remedial recommendations. The opposing engineer who comes form a Hired Hitman company has made a claim and keeps referring to "Code says". I have already discovered where his code claims are not accurate and need additional information (on other issues).

There is a great deal of water intrusion in this building and so far most of what I see is sealant related (windows, AC sleeves, door frames, etc). There is one area that may be roof related, and in my opinion, it may very well be a penetration issue.

The engineer claims (and jumps up and down while repeating) "That is anytime there is water penetration into a roof, you must replace the entire roof".

So on this roof (so far), all I see is one area that may be affected. I think it is crazy to insist the entire roof be replaced, which the engineer has put a $200 000.00 price tag on.

The roof by the way is concrete.

Is there anything even close to such a code requirement?

Member Benefits1
    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Default Re: Code question

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    The engineer claims (and jumps up and down while repeating) "That is anytime there is water penetration into a roof, you must replace the entire roof".

So on this roof (so far), all I see is one area that may be affected. I think it is crazy to insist the entire roof be replaced, which the engineer has put a $200 000.00 price tag on.
    Is there anything even close to such a code requirement?
    Yes ... and no ... it depends - most codes (I would need to know specifically which/what code he is referring to) require that 25% (some are 50%) of the roof is replaced (typically this is stated as something to the effect of 'within 12 months') that the entire roof (or roof face, varies) must be brought to current code (i.e., "replaced").

This is to prevent people from making "repairs" to 60%-70%-80%-90%-or more of their roof and end up with a roof which meets does not meet code as a "roof replacement" permit would end up with a roof which which meets code.

The roof by the way is concrete.
    ??

Flat roof, sloped roof, concrete tile, concrete on sloped roof (in South Florida these were common on high end homes in the 50s and 60s, but were not so common from the 70s and later - these were called Bermuda Roofs and were actually quite excellent roofs, many of which are still in existence today). Depending on the type and style of "concrete roof" repair may not be practical (replacement may be the only viable option) or replacement may not be practical (repair may be the only viable option) while other types/styles are easily repaired or replaced.

When was the roof put on? What code is being referred to? Is there an Existing Building code which has been adopted for the area? Is there a Property Maintenance code which has been adopted for the area?

Just a lot of questions before a more specific answer can be given. You can email me with additional information to keep it off the board if you prefer.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com