Default Dry stacked block columns and bags of mortar as foundation.

This is a first for me. Other than O.M.G. how would you respond?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Dry stacked block columns and bags of mortar as foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Horn View Post
    This is a first for me. Other than O.M.G. how would you respond?
    Those appear to be supplemental supports, probably to correct objectionable deflection. One persons objectionable may not be objectionable to another. They may have had a china cabinet that rattled when someone walked across the floor, they might have been very large people, don't know! The thing I look at is; if the supports were not there, would there still be a reportable problem? I would still mention they are in the crawlspace and there condition but might not recommend any action.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Pretty much as Vern said, but a little stronger.
    Mostly FYI

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Abram View Post
    If you look carefully pic #2 appears to be a main girth. The joists end on this girth.
    Nope.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Abram View Post
    If you look carefully pic #2 appears to be a main girth. The joists end on this girth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Nope.
    When Jim is correct ... I do agree with him, to the extent that he is correct ... and however seldom that may be ... except that is a girder, not a girth - at least not that I have ever heard.

See zoomed in photo.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    When Jim is correct ... I do agree with him, to the extent that he is correct ...

See zoomed in photo.

Well Shush!!

Houston We have Splash Down.

I'm gonna have to get me a pair of those Giant PC Monitors ( this 12 " Life Book don't zoom that big.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

We see dry stacked peirs under mobile homes all the time. Works OK.
    I agree, posts in pics 1 and 3 were added later.

I would describe the piers with enough pics to make it all clear, what you see is what you get.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    We see dry stacked peirs under mobile homes all the time. Works OK.
    I agree, posts in pics 1 and 3 were added later.

I would describe the piers with enough pics to make it all clear, what you see is what you get.
    Mobile homes are "Well just that" Mobile structures. No need for permanent fixtures. I don't have problems with short dry stacked columns, but if the columns and girt are a permanent solution (like pic#2) then a footing at proper depth and size for location is required.

Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    Mobile homes are "Well just that" Mobile structures. No need for permanent fixtures.
    A) "Mobile homes" are actually not just that, unless you want to think of any home as being "mobile" because they can be moved.

B) Mobile homes are actually "manufactured homes" and are installed on "permanent foundations".

A car is "mobile" ... A "mobile home" would be an RV ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Home is 1600 square feet, single story ranch, on block foundation. Picture #2 does show center girder (double 2 X 12). Girder is centered with 16 foot 2 x 12 floor joists (on 16" centers) running to the back and to the front foundation walls. The girder is supported with dry stacked blocks. The dry stacked blocks are sitting on concrete footers (quality unknown) and two are leaning. The bags of concrete and 6 X 6 posts are positioned between the girder and the front and back wall. Given the girder and joist material used I assumed the 6 X 6 structures to be "floor stiffeners", added by the home owner. Unfortunately the owner died recently so the exact reason is not known. I reported the column construction to be unorthodox and should be considered "temporary" supports only.

- - - Updated - - -

A) "Mobile homes" are actually not just that, unless you want to think of any home as being "mobile" because they can be moved.

B) Mobile homes are actually "manufactured homes" and are installed on "permanent foundations".

A car is "mobile" ... A "mobile home" would be an RV ...
    Jerry, I call them manufactured homes after 1974. "Mobile" just slipped out by mistake there.

Around here the foundation is dry-stacked CMU's under the steel frame.
    Preferably on a poured concrete footing. So I guess that concrete slab qualifies for permanent.

Anyway, the stack of blocks can be solidified with rebar and concrete. I would think in Tennessee they can figure out how to get buckets of concrete in there.

www.allsafehome.ca

I would think in Tennessee they can figure out how to get buckets of concrete in there.
    We can get concrete in Bags.
    *why would we need Buckets.

Jerry, I call them manufactured homes after 1974. "Mobile" just slipped out by mistake there.
    I do it occasionally myself, but ... we had just finished making reservations for our next camping trip with our motorhome ("mobile home" ) and that target was just too big to miss.

Around here the foundation is dry-stacked CMU's under the steel frame.
    Same here, and tied down to ground anchors.

Preferably on a poured concrete footing. So I guess that concrete slab qualifies for permanent.
    YOU get concrete pad footings? Wow, all WE get are plastic pad footings.

Anyway, the stack of blocks can be solidified with rebar and concrete. I would think in Tennessee they can figure out how to get buckets of concrete in there.
    That would require reading the instructions and finding where it says 'mix with water' ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

We can get concrete in Bags.
    *why would we need Buckets.
    Wheelbarrell and a hoe for the mixin', Plastic snow sled fer the haul, the haul thru the crawl. Y'all.

I do it occasionally myself, but ... we had just finished making reservations for our next camping trip with our motorhome ("mobile home" ) and that target was just too big to miss.

Same here, and tied down to ground anchors.

YOU get concrete pad footings? Wow, all WE get are plastic pad footings.

That would require reading the instructions and finding where it says 'mix with water' ...
    Hard to splash in the right amount of water if they don't even got buckets down there in Tennessee.

We get a few MH's on tippy piers, but with the wheels and axles in place, she won't roll far. []

www.allsafehome.ca

Wheelbarrell and a hoe for the mixin', Plastic snow sled fer the haul, the haul thru the crawl. Y'all.
    You Mix it.
    *what'll they think of Next.

You Mix it.
    *what'll they think of Next.
    Ya, everybloody knows that once the dampness does it job..... those bags will be hard as, well, concrete, and the bag will keep it all togeather eh!

The shims leads me to believe this was an after-the -fact installation of the Girth.