Jeff Eastman Guest

Default Re: Nails in foundation

I wouldn't think the nails are causing any problems other than asthetics (nails are visible [and ugly] and causing rust stains). I wouldn't comment on them in the report.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

To save time from having to comment on it on the report and spend 10 minutes with the buyer about them and then listen to the agent yak about them, I just take a hammer and whack them flush with the foundation.

I have pulled out my bolt-cutters and cut the nails off depending how much time I had left.

Years ago I didn't give them much thought, then after dragging my ankle against one while leaning over to look at a condensing unit I thought different about those rusty nails.

rick

I've never seen this condition, but won't those suckers rust, expand, and pop off chunks of 'crete?

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Exposed nails, form ties, etc show a sloppy builder so with that in mind it may be wise to go into overdrive on your inspection. Remember, ever little detail is a clue in itself.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

You sure your not looking at the form ties? Dosen't matter these shoild be cut off also, but sealed as well.