Default Which home inspection software to buy?

Need to get some software asap. This paper thing just isn't working anymore but I'm faced with deciding which one to buy. Any suggestions?

Looking at "Identify Report" anyone using it? Your comments plz.?

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Which home inspection software to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
    Need to get some software asap. This paper thing just isn't working anymore but I'm faced with deciding which one to buy. Any suggestions?

Looking at "Identify Report" anyone using it? Your comments plz.?
    Never heard of it..... If it was me I would go with one of the tried and proven reporting programs! Just do a search of this site and you will find gobs of post on this topic. Everyone's loves the one they are using!

IMVHO, Home Inspector Pro and Home Gauge have the bulk of the market and for good reasons....

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Never heard of it..... If it was me I would go with one of the tried and proven reporting programs! Just do a search of this site and you will find gobs of post on this topic. Everyone's loves the one they are using!

IMVHO, Home Inspector Pro and Home Gauge have the bulk of the market and for good reasons....
    Make sense. I'll search Thanks scott....

Horizon Report Software
    Horizon Help and Support Center

Marshall Brown Guest

Several of the inspection programs will allow you to try before you buy. My preference is Home Inspector Pro, HIP, but your mileage may vary. It can be a personal thing.

I started with Report Host, I use HIP now. It takes a while to customize the template, it's very customizable. I never heard of the one your looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie Martin View Post
    I started with Report Host, I use HIP now. It takes a while to customize the template, it's very customizable. I never heard of the one your looking at.
    You can find a short video on you tube under "iPad Home inspection software Identify & Report Professional" I thought it was very good. You don't have to be connected to the internet. Retails around $500.00
    I'm still trying different ones. Will let you know which one I decided on.

My opinion 3D is and always has been the best!!

- - - Updated - - -

My opinion 3D is and always has been the best!!

Keith Swift just released a program that looks to be pretty promising...Swift Reporting Software
    We are going there pretty soon..

[QUOTE=Scott Patterson;243170]Everyone's loves the one they are using!

The only correct answer is Whisper (Home). I have used their products for 11 years and am totally satisfied. Support is fantastic.

ddn

When I first started I had the very same question. But was in a a hurry to get going so I ended up using the software I was trained on which was Horizon. It is cloud based and is OK. Takes a little time to get used to though.

I had the opportunity to try Inspecto Pro which seem to be most popular with the inspectors that I have met. I like the fact that it runs natively on your PC. However, old dogs tend to stick to the tricks that they know works, so I keep coming back to to what I am most familiar. Mostly because I have limited time to learn anything else.

If you are an Internachi member, you should watch the video they have on the software. I think they call is Software Throwdown. Then try the two you think have the best chances of you choosing, then choose one.

Hope this helps,

Mike Rodney
    Ontario, Canada

Homegauge is fantastic. very user friendly and with the cloud backups you never lose your reports.

Robert White Guest

I'm a Texas inspector and I've used Interspect Software since 2006. It is a voice controlled software that allows you to do a room by room or system mode type of inspection with simple voice commands. By using a plantronics wireless headset with a range of about 250 feet , it allows you to create the room, select items to inspect, switch between room by room and system mode, add photo tags that automatically sync your pictures with the comments and so much more. Your comments are called in by a voice tag and comments can have merge fields that allow you to specify things like location, room, type of damage, appliance brands, spell model numbers and serial numbers etc. Went from staying up to midnight writing reports to having the report almost finished before leaving the inspection and out to my clients and agents within 30 minutes after proof reading. Could never go back to having to carry a PDA or tablet.
    Rob

Obviously a Ford vs. Chevy discussion. There is no easy answer however the good news is that you can trial most programs. Don't worry about price because you don't want to go cheap on the tool you will use everyday for hours at a time. Look at how easy it is to customize the program and modify your comments. Some folks are fascinated by tablets but I like a keyboard so I use a laptop in the field.

I just switched to Home Inspector Pro from 3D In January. Its was not an easy switch but worth it. Each software program does things differently and its been an adjustment. The good news is that I learned a lot with 3D over the years and that lessened the pain of change.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bunzel View Post
    Obviously a Ford vs. Chevy discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wood View Post
    I noticed you did not include Dodge.
    I've heard it said that the only thing wrong with the Dodge Cummins Diesel is that it is bolted to a Dodge ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

PalmTech here. I was looking at HomeGauge too but they did not have the app for ios. Since I use an iphone rather than android, I elected PalmTech since they have ios apps that work in conjunction with their PC software. I gather data with app and digi cam on site. I finalize report in office with PC.

Here's a sample of my work in Palm-Tech

http://home.comcast.net/~arundelhome...n/2-sample.pdf

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

Palm here too. Maybe just because I've used it so long and have a comfort level.
    I see too many inspectors using Home Gauge to issue book length reports that just serve to confuse everyone. I know it can be altered to be more terse, but 250 pages for a 20 year old house? I see it too often.
    Plus I've never had a problem calling Palm for advise or help.

Jeff Mathis

I use HomeGauge. Average report for an old home is about 30 pages. This includes both general summary and WDO summary, Inspection Agreement, Invoice, lots of pictures.

Default Re: Which home inspection software to buy?_Tap Inspect?

I am looking for a different program also. I encountered another inspector using Tap Inspect. I have not seen discussion of this product here. Do any of you use it? If so, what are its strengths +/or weaknesses. The fellow that I encountered was happy with it. He reported finding it to be all he wanted.

I want to move to an iPhone device for most of the recording due to voice notation abilities. I also have a Android tablet that could be left in my "base" in the kitchen while I'm in the crawl space with the iPhone for its camera/voice features. I just talked with the Palm Tech people and will probably look into that next week.

I currently use InspectIt with my Android tablet and simply don't like the report output format, would prefer something in more of an outline format. The voice recognition feature often makes some pretty funny (could be embarrassing if not previewed) interpretations, but maybe I simply need to speak more clearly ..

In advance, thanks for any feedback,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kaiser View Post
    I am looking for a different program also. I encountered another inspector using Tap Inspect. I have not seen discussion of this product here. Do any of you use it? If so, what are its strengths +/or weaknesses. The fellow that I encountered was happy with it. He reported finding it to be all he wanted.

I want to move to an iPhone device for most of the recording due to voice notation abilities. I also have a Android tablet that could be left in my "base" in the kitchen while I'm in the crawl space with the iPhone for its camera/voice features. I just talked with the Palm Tech people and will probably look into that next week.

I currently use InspectIt with my Android tablet and simply don't like the report output format, would prefer something in more of an outline format. The voice recognition feature often makes some pretty funny (could be embarrassing if not previewed) interpretations, but maybe I simply need to speak more clearly ..

In advance, thanks for any feedback,
    Tim
    I decided to go with "Identify Report" It can be used without internet connection on my IPad. Had a trial run and seems user friendly. I'll know soon enough.

I decided to go with "Identify Report" It can be used without internet connection on my IPad. Had a trial run and seems user friendly. I'll know soon enough.
    Did you search Home Inspection in the App Store from your iPad? They're not in there. Read some of the reviews of the apps built for iPad.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you search Home Inspection in the App Store from your iPad? They're not in there. Read some of the reviews of the apps built for iPad.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you search Home Inspection in the App Store from your iPad? They're not in there.  Read some of the reviews of the apps built for iPad.