Default Door step-over height

I ran into this "step-over" at a door that leads from the living space out to an exterior balcony. The rise is a little more than 4 inches from the walking surfaces on both sides of the door. I know the rules for the threshold at the required egress door does not apply here but this still seems very wrong to me.

Any code based insights for this situation?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Door step-over height

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Stojanik View Post
    I ran into this "step-over" at a door that leads from the living space out to an exterior balcony. The rise is a little more than 4 inches from the walking surfaces on both sides of the door. I know the rules for the threshold at the required egress door does not apply here but this still seems very wrong to me.

Any code based insights for this situation?

It is wrong. Could be the door was added.
    Max height of a threshold is 1.5" (I think)

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Condo, house, townhouse. .. ?

Trip hazard for sure, along with other issues with door swinging over a step (but does it really swing over a step as the floor level on each side of the curb is approximately the same height, i.e., one does not step 'up' going in or out, one only steps 'over').

Being as the two levels on each side of the curb are approximately the same elevation, I suspect that the curb was added to keep water out. The balcony floor being approximately the same level as the interior floor is a greater concern to me (address that and the answer to why that curb is there may become apparent and there may not be another practical choice other than having the curb there - that's not to say that the curb is okay, just that it may have a costly fix).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    It is wrong. Could be the door was added.
    Max height of a threshold is 1.5" (I think)

Yes the required egress door has a threshold height limitation of 1.5 inches and there is an exception that permits up to 7.75 inch step down as long as the door does not swing over the landing or floor.

In the case of this "curb" configuration however the door does swing over the floor/landing on the interior side. On the other hand the curb is not really a tread by definition either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Condo, house, townhouse. .. ?

Trip hazard for sure, along with other issues with door swinging over a step (but does it really swing over a step as the floor level on each side of the curb is approximately the same height, i.e., one does not step 'up' going in or out, one only steps 'over').

Being as the two levels on each side of the curb are approximately the same elevation, I suspect that the curb was added to keep water out. The balcony floor being approximately the same level as the interior floor is a greater concern to me (address that and the answer to why that curb is there may become apparent and there may not be another practical choice other than having the curb there - that's not to say that the curb is okay, just that it may have a costly fix).
    Its a stand alone single family 3-story townhouse (new conctruction). I had the same though about the door swinging over. But as you pointed out its not really a tread (not deep enough) so can it really be considered to be a step down when you are having to step over it?

I was looking at it on my phone before, now, looking at it on my desktop computer, looks like the door swings out over the threshold and has a drip edge attached to the door to help protect against water blowing in under the door.

Also looks like there may be a slight discoloration in the carpet along the curb (which could just be from a shadow)?

I suspect the biggest concern is that of water intrusion under the curb, then the trip factor.

If it was in a condo then Fair Housing and ADA would come into play and that would be a problem for accessibility then.

I'd make sure your client knows about it, understands that it could very likely become a water intrusion issue under that curb, and, depending on the wall is built along that balcony, water intrusion along the wall where the balcony floor is about at the same level as the interior floor level.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It's not a door. It's a large casement window that someone is using as an access to the patio.