Default Fire Sep Between Levels

I may have even asked this question before, but I obviously didn't retain the answer if I did get one.

In a single family residence, is there any requirement for fire separation between levels. Specifically, this house has a partially finished basement which is used as a shop. There is no ceiling, just the open framing visible to the bottom of the sub floor. I looked through the IRC sections on fire blocking, and it doesn't seem to apply to this. I'm thinking no requirement, or else you could never have an unfinished basement, or any basement without a gypsum board ceiling.

Member Benefits1
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Default Re: Fire Sep Between Levels

To the best of my knowledge there is no requirement for a firewall between basement and living space. The firewall only applies to garage space.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

No fire separation between levels (except, as Rick mentioned) between a garage and living space and its attic) other than what is required for concealed areas/spaces (such as closed off space below stairs, etc).

There still is a requirement for fireblocking of concealed spaces such as stud cavities, etc, at the floor and ceiling levels - but this is a different issue than the fire separation*you are asking about.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks. That's the way I was interpreting it as well. Very few unfinished basements, or basements at all, out here, so it always looks a little funny when I see it.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA