Default Looking for experienced Log Home Inspector

June 6th - I recently received this post. Just trying to help a consumer.

"Hi there, my husband and I are looking to put in an offer on a log home with a permanent wood foundation in . We've been trying to locate an inspector who could look over the property for us, but we would love to find someone who has lots of experience with this type of house."

Location - north of Port Perry / Blackstock.

Feel free to email for contacts at: clawrenson@acncanada.net

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Looking for experienced Log Home Inspector

I lived in (and thoroughly explored, modified and repaired) a Colorado log home, and learned a lot about what can go wrong with them. However, I've never seen one with a permanent wood foundation, although I'm sure they exist. I recall one conventional framed house in NM with a wood foundation that had nothing but problems, to the extent that it made the TV news. I think the place was finally lifted off the foundation and a new concrete one was built under it, at considerable expense.

I suspect a Canadian log home builders association, if one exists, would be able to provide a few name of qualified inspectors.

Just recently inspected a home with a permanent wood foundation however it had a standard concrete footing. Most permanent wood foundations have a rubble trench footing. Around here permanent wood foundations are rare.

PWF - good luck. Not many have been constructed properly, most have problems, and limited life span.

On the average I will look at 15-20 log homes a year, I'm just in an area with a good number of them and other inspectors are scared to,inspect them so they send them my way. I looked at one yesterday built back in the 1980's, it had a few problems mostly relating to the owner not keeping a stain/finish on the logs. The oldest I have looked at was originally built back in the 1880's, sure it had modifications over the years but it was still going strong.

I have never seen one on wood foundation, most of the older ones that I see are on rubble (field stones/rocks) foundations.

Logs homes if maintained will out live a few owners.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Logs homes if maintained will out live a few owners.
    Unless the owners are heavy smokers . . . . .then it's pretty much a toss-up, between the owner smoking himself to death or accidently burning the place down when falling asleep with a lit cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeMan View Post
    Unless the owners are heavy smokers . . . . .then it's pretty much a toss-up, between the owner smoking himself to death or accidently burning the place down when falling asleep with a lit cigarette.
    Actually log homes do not burn or start as quick as a stick built home. SYP 2x4's burn a whole lot quicker than a solid 8 to 12 inch log..

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

But very few log homes I've seen (including the one I lived in) had any interior sheet rock covering the logs, which does slow down the spread of fire. Trust me--exposed logs will burn faster than gypsum board. Our neighbor's place in Colorado practically burned to the ground in less than an hour--stupid woman wanted to keep her lizards and birds warm (in the winter) with a heat lamp, and then left the place for a few days.

There are 100's of homes for sale in that area. Why choose the heaviest wall material resting on the feeblest excuse for a foundation?
    How will you repair it when it starts to sink, because it will?
    A standard frame home can be jacked up. A log home? You take it apart.

My advice to anybody, buyer or inspector is ... don't touch it.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Abram View Post
    I agree . Every wood foundation that I have observed has been in failure or near failure.
    Sorry, but your opinion doesn't count. Your inspection license is suspended, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeMan View Post
    Sorry, but your opinion doesn't count. Your inspection license is suspended, right?
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
    That was good

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.