Default CPVC pipe support

Installation of 1/2 inch CPVC piping in the attic. Piping is curved and not properly supported.
    This is a recent re-plumb that was permitted and signed off by the local building department in February of this year.
    This is what I reported "Non conventional installation of CPVC piping in the attic area. Piping is curved and not properly supported. 1/2" CPVC piping should be supported every 3'. Recommend a licensed plumbing contractor be called to make further evaluation".
    Of course I am getting push back from the listing agent since it was signed off by the AHJ.
    I am going to sent the agent the plumbing section table showing support requirements from the 2010 FBC. Is there anything else I should add?
    Thanks, Larry

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: CPVC pipe support

Its possible the AHJ did not even look in the attic.
    How about the lack of insulation on the pipes?

You must be in a warm clime.

I tell clients that some violations are misdemeanors and others are felonies. I see a misdemeanor in your photos. FWIW, write it up as "not done properly" and move on. This one isn't worth trying to elevate to a felony.

AHJs make mistakes (duh), but unless they've missed a substantial defect or a safety issue, doing more than pointing it out is usually an exercise in head banging. Save the big fights for the big issues. You'll be less frustrated. (Of course, some guys like banging their heads and if you're one of those, knock yourself out)

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Heitzenrater View Post
    Installation of 1/2 inch CPVC piping in the attic. Piping is curved and not properly supported.
    This is a recent re-plumb that was permitted and signed off by the local building department in February of this year.
    This is what I reported "Non conventional installation of CPVC piping in the attic area. Piping is curved and not properly supported. 1/2" CPVC piping should be supported every 3'. Recommend a licensed plumbing contractor be called to make further evaluation".
    Of course I am getting push back from the listing agent since it was signed off by the AHJ.
    I am going to sent the agent the plumbing section table showing support requirements from the 2010 FBC. Is there anything else I should add?
    Thanks, Larry

Simple:
    is: unsupported CPVC pipe
    s/b: supported 3ft on center per code

is: uninsulated cpvc hot water line
    s/b: insulated per code.

Note: date on CPVC pipe is (give date code), therefore this is a new installation and should be to current codes. Suggest that if this was performed in the last year (depending on state law) that the contractor be recalled to properly perform thier work.

If anyone wants to talk of "passed inspection" under a permit, I would answer them with a question: Do you think that the inspection department will be responsible for failure of the installation becausee they missed this at inspection? The answer is NO, the contractor/Home owner is always responsible, never the municipality.

That CPVC is also stressed and is not permitted to be stressed. However, it may meet the manufacturer's allowance for minimum radius of bending - let them prove it.

Additionally, as I recall, even supply piping changes in direction are to be made with approved fittings. That means 90 elbows are needed.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Put it this way. Would you want that in your attic? Call for a real plumber to replace the stressed pipe with insulated copper or PEX.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Put it this way. Would you want that in your attic? Call for a real plumber to replace the stressed pipe with insulated copper or PEX.
    PEX has more failures than CPVC has.

In some localities copper is eaten out with pin-holes - from the inside out (it's the water).

Pex has been having some fitting issues, not all that different from PB (same basic technique with the pinched clamps on most brands of PEX).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I Like PEX. It has a good track record here. For new housing the plumbing is 100% PEX with copper stubs on the water heater.
    I like copper too, and the house of this PM has 100 year old copper plumbing, no pin holes. Lead in the solder, maybe.
    CPVC, ok if you glue the fittings properly. and support it. I plumbed a house with it in 1986 and it is still good AFAIK.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I like PEX too. Older installations with brass fittings have had some issues with the brass, but I'm not aware of systemic problems with the tubing and have never seen any.

I've seen more failures with copper tubing than PEX. Not to mention that PEX is far more forgiving than copper when it freezes which is a consideration around these parts.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Larry,
    Instead of trying to show that you are correct, why not have the agent take the pictures to the AHJ and obtain in writing and signed that the installation it is acceptable.

No mater what you send they will still fall back on that the AHJ passed it originally. Why? Because it serves their purpose.

P.S. > You are working for your client and not the listing agent.

Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 06-08-2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: PS