Default Letter to MCS seeking clarification of facts quoted as to number of court cases

This is a letter I prepared on behalf of a number of inspectors seeking clarification as to the quoted number of court cases (390) by MCS and their research firm being used to justify licencing of Ontario home inspectors.

If you wish to have your name added to the the list please let me know and I would be happy to add it.

//// COPY \\\\

Consumer Affairs Critic (Conservative)
    MPP Mr. T. Barrett

Consumer Affairs Critic (NDP)
    MPP Mr. Jagmeet Singh
    Wednesday March 5, 2014

Dear Madams and Messieurs,

I am seeking clarification from the Min. of Consumer Services regarding the 35 recommendations made to the Minister of MCS with regards to licencing home inspectors.

It has been stated by MCS and their research company SEG Consultants that there were 390 court cases against home inspectors, however I and other signatories to this request listed below cannot get answers as to what the cases involved, whether the number represents cases over a one year period of time, or two to three year period. Further, no information as to whether any of the cases were successful against the inspector or whether any of the cases resulted in the inspector not being liable.

As you can appreciate this information requires clarification without which the cause to licence can be flawed. There needs to be an effort made by MCS to a clarify with full disclosure and transparency to dispel any myths, confusion and finger pointing.

Further the Better Business Bureau stats and other data I provided to MCS indicate very low numbers of complaints compared to other non-licenced trades. These include roofers, pavers, renovators, and contractors as an example. As a past time I research case law as it pertains to home inspectors and I am at a loss as to the number SEG Consultants has quoted and cannot not find anywhere near that number relating to Ontario court cases against inspectors.

It would be very much appreciated if this question could be put to the Minister of MCS on the floor of the Legislature in order to clarify and provide details as to the numbers provided by SEG Consultants who were retained by MCS to research the licencing matter.

I have questioned this number and sought answers, however I have been met with non-answers.

Your assistance in bringing clarification to this matter is urgently requested. Numbers without verification or clarification is not acceptable given its a simple matter to disclose this valuable data in my humble opinion.

In addition the following add their names to this request for disclosure and clarifications of the facts.

Ten (10) names added.

Please contact me at the email address should further information be required.

A Closer Look:
    Qualifying Ontario’s Home Inspectors
    http://www.ontariocanada.com/registr...chmentId=22811

Thank you.

Yours truly,

Raymond Wand

CC.
    The Honourable Kathleen Wynne - Premier
    The Honourable Mr. T. Hudak - Leader of the Ontario Conservatives
    The Honourable Mrs. A. Horwath - Leader of the NDP
    Minister MCS - Tracy MacCharles
    David Brezer - MCS Director, Consumer Policy and Liaison Branch
    Ben Valido - Project Manager - Home Inspector Qualification Project
    Jess Spindler-Legislative Asst - Office Mr. Orazietti MPP
    Deborah Imran - Administrative Asst.
    Aimee Skelton -Sr. Policy Adviser, Consumer Policy & Liaison Branch
    Judith Borts - Senior Policy Advisor MCS
    Mary Tate - SEG Consultants
    Richard Lundeen - SEG Consultants
    Ben Valido - Project Manager - Home Inspector Qualification Project

Last edited by Raymond Wand; 03-10-2014 at 01:06 PM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Letter to MCS seeking clarification of facts quoted as to number of court cases

Since this thread resulted in a pissing match rather than a discussion of the topic all replies were deleted as they really had nothing to do with the topic.

If that should start again in this thread or any other thread I will suspend accounts.

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Letter to MCS seeking clarification of facts quoted as to number of court cases

Thanks Brian, appreciate the removal and leaving my original post.

WOW. Good job, Brian.

Respectfully Ray - where did the number 390 come from? I did not see that at all in the "report" or any thing like that in the "panel" discussions.

Claude

Good question. I thought I had info from SEG stating that number, but damned if I can find it.

Also referenced by Len Inskter

https://www.nachi.org/forum/f48/lice...any-one-86962/

Post No. 14

This has resulted in the last year with only around 500 consumer complaints and 390 Lawsuits. This does not consider anything that was submitted to the complaints services of the Associations.
    Post 19 page 2 Len Inkster

The first set of statistics came from the analysis of data form the SEG consultants who were tasked to do the statistical analysis for the Panel meetings.
    Will see if I can find more info tomorrow.

Claude

Both you and Len were on the panel. What did you hear as to the number of court cases or was it even discussed. And if not where did Len get the numbers? Perhaps he is misquoted.

Interesting is the fact that Len has seen the letter sent to MCS, et al, but never questioned the quoted 390.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Claude

Both you and Len were on the panel. What did you hear as to the number of court cases or was it even discussed. And if not where did Len get the numbers? Perhaps he is misquoted.

Interesting is the fact that Len has seen the letter sent to MCS, et al, but never questioned the quoted 390.
    Thanks Raymond I reviewed the post you referenced. I do not recall that number being stated, and certainly not even referenced in the SEG report to MCS.

The only number I remember being discussed was one relating more directly to a discussion on "insurance claims" with the potential to be litigated. Even that number was considerably less than half of that 390 number.

Guess I will have to see what comes back as a result of the letter I sent. However the numbers being quoted in noted documents does not come close to explaining what the complaints were about or whether they even had merit.

Thanks

I wonder if MCS was aware of this document? Backs up the facts that lawsuits are low for home inspection profession.

PRE-PURCHASE HOME INSPECTION IN REAL ESTATE
    Better Protection for Buyers and Sellers

http://www.nationalhomeinspector.org...hase%20eng.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I wonder if MCS was aware of this document? Backs up the facts that lawsuits are low for home inspection profession.

PRE-PURCHASE HOME INSPECTION IN REAL ESTATE
    Better Protection for Buyers and Sellers

http://www.nationalhomeinspector.org...hase%20eng.pdf
    The answer is YES. I sent this prior to the formation (selection) of the panel process.

In case anyone doesn't already know, trying to work with government bureaucrats is opening up a huge can of worms.

I should know, having worked with them (or more accurately, against them) for close to 40 years. The terms "honesty" and "transparency" are not in the bureaucratic vocabulary.

Thanks Claude

I see your name and my name in the footnotes.

Who would that be Kevin?

Well lets hope he has some brains and can sift through the bull.