Thread: painted attic

Default painted attic

Why would you do this? Attic in Pensacola. At first, when I looked into the attic I thought it was burnt but on a closer look it is a paint like substance. First black then silver over that. It was two thin for any type of sealer. Any answers?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: painted attic

Fire (and smoke).

See the board roof decking on the left?

Unpainted plywood on the right.

My guess would be that there was a fire there and the black is smoke/soot. The silver/white could then be sealers to prevent/reduce smoke smell.

Any other evidence of a fire? The local fire department could likely confirm if there was and when.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Agreed, clear signs of a post fire remediation. Look around carefully ( I know you already left...)

Dom.

As the others said, fire.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Let me add mine.....PAST FIRE!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Fire (and smoke).

My guess would be that there was a fire there and the black is smoke/soot. The silver/white could then be sealers to prevent/reduce smoke smell.

Any other evidence of a fire? The local fire department could likely confirm if there was and when.
    I will check with the local fire department tomorrow and we will both know. I did the old scratch and sniff and didn't smell anything but I couldn't think of why else it was there Thanks to everyone, I'm going to fell better knowing either way.

Edward,

That second flexible duct drop back - is that the yellowish fiberglass insulation of the duct I see or is that dust/dirt/whatever?

I zoomed in x500 and the resolution falls off so I can't tell, almost looks like the outer covering was melted away, but you would have seen that and it would have answered your question so I suspect it is just dust/dirt/whatever.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Edward,

That second flexible duct drop back - is that the yellowish fiberglass insulation of the duct I see or is that dust/dirt/whatever?

I zoomed in x500 and the resolution falls off so I can't tell, almost looks like the outer covering was melted away, but you would have seen that and it would have answered your question so I suspect it is just dust/dirt/whatever.
    Definitely black but the wood directly above that duct is untouched.

Agreed.... that one looks like fire. Around here we also see painted attics from mold remediation so keep that one in mind if you ever see others.

One other thing to keep in mind when you suspect a fire: is there electrical wiring within range of the fire, including radiated heat?

If so, damage to the wiring can be greater than initially suspected, even by electricians.

See for example:

house went on fire ? rewire everything?

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    One other thing to keep in mind when you suspect a fire: is there electrical wiring within range of the fire, including radiated heat?

If so, damage to the wiring can be greater than initially suspected, even by electricians.

See for example:

I would agree with the recommendations about replacing all the wiring including upgrading the service panel. An example of not doing this would be replacing the cable in the wall because the outlet was burned, but then what do you do----put a junction box in the attic/basement/crawlspace to terminate the new cable to the old? Hoakey.

So all new is the best way to go. Especially if the walls are open. And while you are at it (you may have to pay out-of-pocket for this if you didn't have it before) wire for TV and data at the same time---and don't be stingy!

Fire (and smoke).

Thanks for your comments I really appreciate your feedback. I checked with the fire department this morning and they had no records of a fire at the residence. So either there was a fire and the fire department wasn't called or its some other type of remediation. Unless I run into the Shadow, I may never know. Personally, it still looks like soot from a fire.

Again, Thanks to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post

See for example:

This home like most of that age around here have been rewired. This one had Aluminum wire and was rewired in 2012 with new box, breakers, wire, switches and receptacles. The shingles were installed in 2001 and were the nails come through I can see the wood. So, this happened before 2001. This house is all electric with a heat pump.