Thread: Goodbye

Default Goodbye

I have been coming to this forum for almost 10 years and I have learned so very much from all of you.
    I cannot continue to read post after post of just foolish arguing that has dominated the forum lately.

Since the site owner will not step in, I'm stepping out.
    I can only think that argument creates a lot of posts, which generates clicks, and more clicks is what brings in the advertisers.

When (if) things change perhaps one of you will notify me.

Even though I have never met any one of you, I think of you as my friends.
    Anyhow, nice knowing you.

Rick

Inspection Referral
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Default Re: Goodbye

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I have been coming to this forum for almost 10 years and I have learned so very much from all of you.
    I cannot continue to read post after post of just foolish arguing that has dominated the forum lately.

Since the site owner will not step in, I'm stepping out.
    I can only think that argument creates a lot of posts, which generates clicks, and more clicks is what brings in the advertisers.

When (if) things change perhaps one of you will notify me.

Even though I have never met any one of you, I think of you as my friends.
    Anyhow, nice knowing you.

Rick
    Rick,

Dang it! I had made the same decision a little earlier tonight after the latest posts from JA and my replies to him. I had volunteered to step out, then done the same thinking you did.

I was coming here to post basically the same you posted. No need to wait for Brian to address it, I just hope that all the others here know and understand that JA's information may sound good on its surface, but you need to research it, at which time you will find it does not apply and/or does not exist, or does not state what he says it does.

Let Rick and me know when it changes.

Thank you,

Jerry

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Rick,

Dang it! I had made the same decision a little earlier tonight after the latest posts from JA and my replies to him. I had volunteered to step out, then done the same thinking you did.

I was coming here to post basically the same you posted. No need to wait for Brian to address it, I just hope that all the others here know and understand that JA's information may sound good on its surface, but you need to research it, at which time you will find it does not apply and/or does not exist, or does not state what he says it does.

Let Rick and me know when it changes.

Thank you,

Jerry
    Let me know where you gents are going.

I am with you fellas, this forum is a joke, using the red triangle to report posts is fruitless. Too much advertising, and multiple emails telling me of the same posts.

Spending less time here then I use to.

Should we start our own forum?

I quit visiting here last year and didn't visit more than a handful of times over an 8 or 9 month period. I was very busy, but the loss of decorum in the posts was putting me off. I started back up this year, but the constant deterioration of threads into idiocy and/or personal attacks has once again annoyed me.
    It's a cryin' shame, because there is a wealth of useful knowledge here, but filtering the BS to get to it challenges the worth of the information. I had a question from an inspection this week that I started to post here, but passed.
    I'll probably check in occasionally, but I won't continue to be a regular.

Adios

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Every so often there comes along a person who stirs up the regular membership. They post a lot and tend to butt heads with the regular frequent posters. Sometimes it is poor information, some times it is a confrontational attitude. Sometimes they just seem to like to poke the ant hill.

The regulars whine and threaten to leave. Once the regulars stop responding to the detractor, the detractor eventually goes away. At least once Brian has banned a poster for this type of behavior. I would guess that if Brian recieved a concentrated series of requests from members to limit or remove a detractor, he would probably step in.

Most of the regular posters supply good grounded information. They usually offer a seasoned approach to this thing we call our profession. I feel I became a better inspector by reading the seasoned members general viewpoints on what and how to report defects.

I suggest that if you are posting tit for tat with the detractors repeatedly, you have become a detractor yourself. State your case that the inital post is wrong or flawed, state what you believe to be the correct answer and then let it go. More than 3 replies stating the other person is wrong, and you are no longer helping, you are feeding the problem. Show some restraint. It takes two or more to have an arguement.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    ....... I would guess that if Brian recieved a concentrated series of requests from members to limit or remove a detractor, he would probably step in.

.........................State your case that the inital post is wrong or flawed, state what you believe to be the correct answer and then let it go. More than 3 replies stating the other person is wrong, and you are no longer helping, you are feeding the problem. Show some restraint. It takes two or more to have an arguement.
    Bruce, I can agree in part. The present problem is there apparently is a disconnect, either real or just perceived, between the forum members and the administrator of the site. I have never run a site like this, and most likely would not want to. I give credit to Brian for his efforts in maintaining the forum, something like herding cats. Other forums such as Inspector Journal has moderators for each of the areas in the forum which distribute the work to keep tings under control and possibly a faster response to issues that occur.

I have sent PMs to Brian recently and did not receive a reply. Don't know why, I just assume to little time or just berried with other PMs. It happens and I just accept it and move on unless I want to make it a holy quest for an answer.

Relating to the later part of your post. The problem is that the truth or correct information can be easily lost by the droning on by the incorrect. You see it every day in politics and government. The voice of truth will be lost in the consistent droning of the incorrect leaving some to actually only remember the falsehood being promoted. To often bogus data, numbers, percentages, quotes and studies are offered as proof of a position and left without being challenged. I think that many here that will challenge a posting do so for the benefit of others altruistically.

Sadly many have just become tired of the noise/rancor and see no ability to effect a positive change or outcome. Whether it is the postings that are just an effort to advertise a company or a non professional demeaning of a forum member and unlike the Nachi forum where noise and rancor is exalted, this forum in the past has actively been kept professional by the administrator.

I would hope that things change for the better in the very near future.

Exclamation Re: Goodbye

Hold tight everyone!

I want to thank all of you that have recently reported posts to me and sent me emails.

I do need all your help alerting me when there are issues on the board. It is only then that I can take action if action is needed.

Due to the nature of this issue I have done something that I do not do often and that is delete a member from InspectionNews and the posts they have made.

With your help InspectionNews will quickly return to what it is intended to be, a place to ask questions, get answers and not get into personality conflicts with one another. That all needs to be taken off the site.

Please let me know early and often if a thread is taking a wrong turn.

Thank you for your continued support and I look forward to InspectionNews becoming better than it ever has before.

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Thank you Brian for your actions. Much appreciated as always.

thanks brian

To those that emailed me, thank you all.

I understand that someone has been banned from IN. I would rather nobody ever be banned however in the real world sometimes this is the better choice.

My view is, if everyone here agreed on everything, IN would be a very boring place.
    Nobody asking any questions and no answers needed to be given.

Question and answer is why I come here.
    Debate is needed to expand and explain.
    Sometimes even heated debate is acceptable.
    But disagreeing, just to disagree is more than annoying, it prevents others from reading something they may benefit from.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

There was more then that Rick, the person banned was also openly stating that some of us had no business inspecting. Holier then thou attitude was hypocritical given the posters discipline record by the state of Massachusetts.

Brian, Thank You!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

The Inspector's Journal is strictly moderated by some of the better minds in the HI biz. Many of the regulars here at IN News go there also. It does not get nearly the volume of threads this site gets, but nonsense is also not tolerated. It's worth a look if you are not familiar.

Home Inspector Forums, TIJ The Inspector's Journal

Mike Lamb
    Inspection Connection, Inc.
    http://www.inspection2020.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Brian, Thank You!
    Ditto!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

To All,

First I would like to say sorry if some of you think I was feeding some recent posts. My intent was not to stir the pot but to provide facts and real world experiences to better help those in the HI profession. I realize there will be different interpretations of the codes, but some have really pushed the limits of common sense and practical application.

Regards,

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Well; I know I didn't think you were feeding anything, and I don't think you need to apologize.

Thank you Raymond.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Sure...I don't log in for awhile and I miss everything.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Sure...I don't log in for awhile and I miss everything.
    No - no you didn't!

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Brian has given us a tool to use. When someone becomes abrasive, I just block him. This can be done by going to the person's profile and clicking on "Ignore". If we all choose to ignore a specific person's posts, it won't matter what he says.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Brian has given us a tool to use. When someone becomes abrasive, I just block him. This can be done by going to the person's profile and clicking on "Ignore". If we all choose to ignore a specific person's posts, it won't matter what he says.
    "If we all choose to ignore a specific person's posts, it won't matter what he says."

Unfortunately, it does matter what he says. What he says is left for all others to read, and for some to think the information may be correct - which is not good for the professionalism of this forum. This forum could then end up being like that other not-to-be-named forum where you can become a master of anything.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Unfortunately, it does matter what he says. What he says is left for all others to read, and for some to think the information may be correct - which is not good for the professionalism of this forum. This forum could then end up being like that other not-to-be-named forum where you can become a master of anything.
    Fair enough. But, if we choose to abandon this forum, isn't that essentially the same thing? I believe the trolls are looking for a fight. If we don't give it to them, they will give up.

My list of blocked people is pretty small. But, I will continue to use it. My time is much too important to me to waste it on some nimrod who wants to argue.

Just my two cents.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Did anybody hear something??

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Fair enough. But, if we choose to abandon this forum, isn't that essentially the same thing?
    Almost the same thing but not quite.

While the difference is subtle, the difference is hugh.

a) Participating in the forum and ignoring what is posted because one "cannot see" those posts and therefore
    allowing those posts to stand as a participant.

b) Not being a participant in the forum means one no longer knows what bad ... or good ... goes on with the forum. One cannot comment on bad posts ... or good posts ... when of one is not a participant. Similar to not commenting on anything in other forum where one can be a master of everything because one does not participate there.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 06-19-2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: "she" was supposed to be "is"
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thank you Brian for taking the action you did. I also thank Rick and others for taking their stand and for 'hanging in there'. I really enjoy this forum and wish the good information and friendly banter to continue. When overwhelmed with negativity from insolent individuals who wish nothing but to disrupt the flow of the forum, we lose interest, and move on.
    Just blocking these individuals does not accomplish much because they will stir others' to respond (in order to prevent false and misleading information) and the negativity still escalates.
    Kudos Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    To those that emailed me, thank you all.

I understand that someone has been banned from IN. I would rather nobody ever be banned however in the real world sometimes this is the better choice.

My view is, if everyone here agreed on everything, IN would be a very boring place.
    Nobody asking any questions and no answers needed to be given.

Question and answer is why I come here.
    Debate is needed to expand and explain.
    Sometimes even heated debate is acceptable.
    But disagreeing, just to disagree is more than annoying, it prevents others from reading something they may benefit from.
    Whew..I though it was me.. must have dogged a bullet.

Finally I feel like I can re-join. Brian, just curious, why didn't you do this years ago? Just waiting for the right people to complain?

END GLOBAL WHINING

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lamb View Post
    The Inspector's Journal is strictly moderated by some of the better minds in the HI biz. Many of the regulars here at IN News go there also. It does not get nearly the volume of threads this site gets, but nonsense is also not tolerated. It's worth a look if you are not familiar.

Home Inspector Forums, TIJ The Inspector's Journal
    Now, THAT'S funny! Thanks for injecting some humor in this discussion.

END GLOBAL WHINING

"If we all choose to ignore a specific person's posts, it won't matter what he says."

Unfortunately, it does matter what he says. What he says is left for all others to read, and for some to think the information may be correct - which is not good for the professionalism of this forum.
    JA has gone to pester the good folks at the ASHI Inspectors Forum on LinkedIn, if anyone is wondering and wishes to flush him out.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I have to agree the forum has gone downhill and lost traction over the years. It's becoming less educational. To many people bantering back and forth, long bloated posts and replies, people not responding to the actual post or topic, people just choosing the jump in and argue.

This forum has the potential be be HUGE benefit to all inspectors. We should be using it for the benefit of learning, helping, comradery, and industry brotherhood.

Last edited by Trent Tarter; 06-24-2014 at 10:20 PM.

Trent, funny you should mention long, bloated posts/replies, I was thinking the same thing. KISS.