Default Gas pipe connection

A CSST (black) gas pipe running through an attic showed a connection between two sections where the threaded metal connectors are angled (see photo). I have trouble believing this is proper. I'm recommending to my clients that they verify a permit was issued on this.
    Would anyone have any additional thoughts on this connection. Could this be viable?
    P.S. the armored cable wiring is dead (and needs removal) and the plastic sheathed wiring needs to be secured.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Ernie Simpson; 06-16-2014 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Adding info
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Gas pipe connection

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Simpson View Post
    A CSST (black) gas pipe running through an attic showed a connection between two sections where the threaded metal connectors are angled (see photo). I have trouble believing this is proper. I'm recommending to my clients that they verify a permit was issued on this.
    Would anyone have any additional thoughts on this connection. Could this be viable?
    P.S. the armored cable wiring is dead (and needs removal) and the plastic sheathed wiring needs to be secured.
    Did you smell gas or use a gas detector? Looks rushed and not to manufacturers standard, but the bend radius may be compliant. I don't think they address attack angle.

If in doubt, call it out.

Dom.

The CSST end connectors are not installed properly. The metal tubing is very thin and it doesn't take much to puncture it. The plastic covering should be inside the connector. Inside the connector there are clamps that secure the covering, thus protecting the metal tube.
    Write it up as a defect. BTW. Manufacturers of CSST require special training for installers, not just anyone (plumbers included) are allowed to install it.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

There are installation issues with this and it needs repair.
    Type in 'CSST' into the search box and read up on some of the previous posts.

I would caution you on absolutes with regards to CSST. You must know which brand and go by the listed instructions of that brand. The poly jacket must be inside the mechanical coupling with Titeflex but not Trac Pipe. Also, each mfr. has their version of how to bond the CSST for lightning protection. I know of no prohibition from using an NPT coupling to join two sections of CSST as long as the proper joints are made and the rest of the installation complies. Most 1/2" CSST has a similar bending radius of a soft Philly pretzel or about 2-3" radius.

Unfortunately, homeowners can buy CSST from the Big Orange Box now. Most wholesalers still require a Cert. card to sell to you but not the big box stores.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.