Thread: Safety Glazing

Lightbulb Safety Glazing

Would you say this would qualify for safety glazing requirement?
    The adventure continues... Jeff G

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Safety Glazing

Yes, it encloses tub.
    Jim

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Yes they need to be. Are you sure that they don't have safety glass in them?

They look like older Pella casement windows, safety glazing is an option that is very common. Pella sells the windows for each home based on a survey of the home. But then you never know what happens after the materials are on site!

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 04-09-2007 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Dean Kalmukos Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Gainey View Post
    Would you say this would qualify for safety glazing requirement?
    The adventure continues... Jeff G
    Yes, it is with the 30" plane and below the 60" rule.
    Dean

Talking Re: Safety Glazing

Thanx for the replies. Scott, I though they might be safety glazed but were not clearly marked as required. I looked for the etching on the glass. Built in 2002 I would have thought it was a no brainer. Thanx again! Jeff G

It is ironic that I have two inspections in two days with safety glass as an issue. This one had the tempered glass between the shower and whirlpool but the exterior frosted window was not. The builder came by about the time I was taking my picture to see if I had any problems. Since the buyer was there, I mentioned the safety glass missing from exterior window. He says the specification sheet called for it...I think maybe the cleaning lady removed the label before I got there. I just smiled and showed him the safety glazing marking etched into the glass between the shower and said it could not be on a removable label. I thought to myself nice try. He also didn't like my comment about no motor access for the whirlpool without tearing out the garage ceiling when a problem arises.
    A different adventure everyday...Jeff G

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Question Re: Safety Glazing

I dont inspect alot of "manufactured" homes, and I understand that the HUD regulations and not local codes are followed. My question is this particular 1999 model had several windows within 12" of floor that met all the other rules for being tempered glass but were not. Do you guys call this as a defect or just note it to the buyers as a FYI.

Paul,

If if looks unsafe, and by all measures you are aware of - is 'unsafe', then by all means ... write it up, code or no code.

"Code" is only the minimum-crappiest-you-are-legally-allowed-to-build-something-starting-point.

"Code" is not 'good', code is "minimum", and code does not, cannot, address all conditions.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jeff,

I just noticed something in your photo ...

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...g-cooper31.jpg

(Brian, is there a way to show the photo link so it can be repeated and have the thumbnail show again, instead of just copying the link like I did above?)

Those impalement hooks.

Yikes! Right there at the end of the tub, when you slip and fall, forget the window, watch out for those impalement hooks!

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Richard Rushing Guest

Code or no code... it doesen't matter. If there is an obvious safety condition that the buyer needs to know about-- by all means identify that condition in the report as a possible safety issue.

Here is mine from today's inspection-- The return-air vent is positioned to where the opening end of the vent cover is right over the staircase on the upper level. Anyone changing the filter out has to be completly exposed over the railing.

While I do have my Master Parachute Wings, I certainly do not want to do a PLF from that height.

Good eye Jerry. The less experienced inspector like myself would have to look twice for that one. I guess I haven't seen as many horror shows with impaled victims. At least they are supplying the towels to clean up the mess.
    A different view and lesson learned everyday...Jeff G

Today's pre-listing inspection; noticed that the lower sash to the left of the door was very loose in its track.

Seller said her husband - who had had a Parkinson's like disease - had fallen through it when she was out of the house.

------------

Replacement is not safety-glazed.