Default Laminated I Joist

When a laminated I joist is used as a rim joist how large of a hole can be cut in it. Can a 4 inch dryer vent be routed through the a laminated joist when it is supported on the foundation.

This would also necessitate going through the deck ledger board. The ledger board is bolted between every joist.

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Laminated I Joist

What are the dimensions of the ledger board? It might be possible if the size is adequate and adequate attachment to the house where the dryer exhausts. And the I-Joist sizing would be a factor.

I think you will find that bolting to an I joist used as a rim joist to support a deck ledger is improper, no matter the method or if there are any holes drilled for a dryer vent. The I joist simply does not have enough "meat" to prevent withdrawl of deck ledger bolts, it is no more secure than bolting it to 1/2" sheathing.
    On boring a 4" hole for a dryer vent, I would not be too concerned as long as the hole is centered in a sufficiently sized I joist, just don't cut the top or bottom flange. This would need to fall back to the manufacturer's installation instructions though.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Insufficient information. Are you saying that the deck rim joist is a laminated I-joist? I have never seen that nor have I seen a laminated I-joist used in an outside (in the weather) application. I don't know how a laminated I-joist could ever be used as a deck rim joist. In any event, the size of the I-joist would dictate what size hole can be cut through the web.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hronek View Post
    When a laminated I joist is used as a rim joist how large of a hole can be cut in it. Can a 4 inch dryer vent be routed through the a laminated joist when it is supported on the foundation.

This would also necessitate going through the deck ledger board. The ledger board is bolted between every joist.
    By any chance, when you say laminated I-joist are you referring to an engineered rim joist used with I-joists?

If that is the question, then no problem with the dryer vent going through the rim joist as long at there is not a heavy point load directly above. Going through the deck ledger board would also be ok, as long at the ledger is properly attached at both sides of the hole (i.e. no bending of the ledger at the hole).

Sounds like you have seen this already and this is not a theoretical question. Therefore, we need pictures. As you can see, there are too many variables in your description to give an accurate answer to the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you have seen this already and this is not a theoretical question. Therefore, we need pictures. As you can see, there are too many variables in your description to give an accurate answer to the issue.

I was dealing with a homeowner that had a ICF home. The builder had embedded a 3in pvc pipe in the form before pouring concrete. A 4 in metal pipe came down from the drawer and connected to the pvc. What made matters worse was the it came out under and enclosed the deck and on top of that the area under the deck was enclosed for storage. The PVC was extended with more PVC to the outside wall.

I didnt have a ladder so all I could see from the inside was one small area where the insulation didnt cover. It looked like the laminated I joist that were used for floor joists. I am not a home inspector so I am not as well versed as you guys though I have a pretty good understanding of home construction. On the outside of the home I did notice the ledger board for the deck. I know that the vent would also have to go through the ledger too.

I recommended to the homeowner that the dryer vent be rerouted through the rim joist with 4in metal pipe and insulated in the unheated space. Thats are far as our conversation went in that regard.

I was posing the question for my own knowledge.

- - - Updated - - -

I was dealing with a homeowner that had a ICF home. The builder had embedded a 3in pvc pipe in the form before pouring concrete. A 4 in metal pipe came down from the drawer and connected to the pvc. What made matters worse was the it came out under and enclosed the deck and on top of that the area under the deck was enclosed for storage. The PVC was extended with more PVC to the outside wall.

I didnt have a ladder so all I could see from the inside was one small area where the insulation didnt cover. It looked like the laminated I joist that were used for floor joists. I am not a home inspector so I am not as well versed as you guys though I have a pretty good understanding of home construction. On the outside of the home I did notice the ledger board for the deck. I know that the vent would also have to go through the ledger too.

I recommended to the homeowner that the dryer vent be rerouted through the rim joist with 4in metal pipe and insulated in the unheated space. Thats are far as our conversation went in that regard.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -