Thread: Deadly Accident

Default Deadly Accident

This accident happened over the weekend. I don't inspect too many buildings with security gates, but in the future I will pay more attention to them. This is a good reminder, not just about security gates but other large objects that may not even be within the scope of an inspection. Large signs would be another example. As an inspector you may be the only person who will see this potential dangerous defect. Its easy to walk right past something like this without giving it much thought (I have).

Rita's tragedy: Freak accident or shoddy work?

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Deadly Accident

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    This accident happened over the weekend. I don't inspect too many buildings with security gates, but in the future I will pay more attention to them. This is a good reminder, not just about security gates but other large objects that may not even be within the scope of an inspection. Large signs would be another example. As an inspector you may be the only person who will see this potential dangerous defect. Its easy to walk right past something like this without giving it much thought (I have).

Rita's tragedy: Freak accident or shoddy work?
    The story doesn't make sense:
    - The Daily News was unable to reach the building's owners, P&G Property Development..
    - Rebecca Jackson, who owns the Rita's with her husband, Kenny, was quoted in a 2010 Inquirer story about the revitalization of West Girard Avenue.
    - "Part of buying the building," she said, ...

Who is the owner of the building? Am I missing something?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    - The Daily News was unable to reach the building's owners, P&G Property Development..
    - Rebecca Jackson, who owns the Rita's with her husband, Kenny, was quoted in a 2010 Inquirer story about the revitalization of West Girard Avenue.

Jerry, I'm surprised at you. You expect accurate reporting from a reporter?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    Jerry, I'm surprised at you. You expect accurate reporting from a reporter?
    Sorry, a moment of sanity slipped in ... what was I thinking?

Kind of like the headline:

Severe storm damages cemetery - hundreds dead!

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The sad truth about the girl dying is that many building owners, public and private, don't make a practice of properly inspecting and maintaining their properties. I'd put money on the fact that the gate was never inspected for proper operation and firm attachment from the time it was installed.

In Milwaukee, WI a few years ago, a 13-ton concrete panel fell off of a County parking garage without warning, killing a teenage boy who happened to be walking out of the exit located directly under it. The lawyers are still fighting over who to blame, and who pays how much. And the County Executive at the time, Scott Walker, had previously (and proudly) cut the County's structure maintenance budget from several million $$$ to less than $200,000 a year, which resulted in a Parks Department lifeguard being in charge of infrequent structure inspections. Walker is now Wisconsin's governor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

Since Rita's is a franchise, I am going to guess that "building" was accidentally used instead of "business".

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/