Default Sump pump discharge

I did an inspection not long ago where the sump pump appear to discharge into the draining system that is around the foundation of the home.

I am wondering if this is correct, since in the past I have always seen them discharge above grade and away from the the house.

Please advise

OREP Insurance
    Mike Rodney
    Ontario, Canada

Default Re: Sump pump discharge

If I'm understanding you correctly the sump is discharging either at the wall outside the house or to downspout connections, not sure exactly.
    Either way when you have the sump discharging outside the house you are essentially creating a circular path. Water goes into perimeter drain tile, goes to pit, gets pumped out along the house, seeps down into ground, into drain tile and around it goes.
    Needs to discharge further away from house. I typically explain to people how they can set up a simple PVC piping manifold to irrigate vegetation.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Markus,

It discharges into the drain system ( I can see the currigated) plastic pipe coming up from the ground) just inches (2"-3") from the outside wall. The pipe from the sump pump then goes into the currigated pipe. So obviously the water if any, will be taking a circular path.

Thanks you Markus.

Mike Rodney
    Ontario, Canada

Hmmm, I don't know how you guys work it up there in Canada ...
    - a black corrugated ground pipe inches from the house would typically be a downspout connection, which in turn would make this a circular path
    - however, another common use is to run a corrugated black tubing from the house location in ground way out the the back of the property, low side of the property, creek, etc.; this of course would not be a circular path
    - if this is a vintage house, small lot or very intact looking yard conditions the 2nd option probably doesn't apply
    - if this is a newer construction house though the 2nd option is very possible

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

I constructed over 70 homes in the late '60 and early 70's in St. Thomas Ontario. In those days it was the standard to attach the perimeter tiles to the sewer lateral.

To-day's standards prohibit this installation.

- - - Updated - - -

Bryce Jeffrey
    Jeffrey Home Inspection
    St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada

The sump pump should never discharge into the perimeter drain system......it might as well just pump back into the pit.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.