Default AC close to panel

Forget that the AC unit is in front of the panel (addressed)..my question is do you think that in 110F temps having that AC unit expel hot air around / into the panel can have an adverse affect on the rating of the CB's in the panel?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: AC close to panel

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Forget that the AC unit is in front of the panel (addressed)..my question is do you think that in 110F temps having that AC unit expel hot air around / into the panel can have an adverse affect on the rating of the CB's in the panel?
    No, it would not be a concern to me. Yes, it might be a bit warmer than surrounding air but it might also be a bit cooler than normal on a still day in direct sunlight since it is moving air across the panel. I might look a little more closely to see if there were signs of replaced breakers or other issues but an air discharge that far away would not seem to be a problem to me.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Thanks JL. The discos were all OEM
    I forgot to mention that when I was there it was only 98 outside and the interior of the panel was 135F. I wasn't so much concerned about the temp numbers when I was there I'm just trying to be proactive since it gets over 110 here. And w that That AC running all day w/ load.
    Just dodging bullets...

I forgot to mention that when I was there it was only 98 outside and the interior of the panel was 135F. I wasn't so much concerned about the temp numbers when I was there I'm just trying to be proactive since it gets over 110 here. And w that That AC running all day w/ load.
    Just dodging bullets...

Although the A/C is dispelling hot air , the CB panel is closed and there fore isolated away from any adverse effects on the interior and the breakers. It is of no concern even on the hottest day the air movement aid the cooling of the panel moving air dissipates the temp of the surface over which it flows.

- - - Updated - - -

Just dodging bullets...

Although the A/C is dispelling hot air , the CB panel is closed and there fore isolated away from any adverse effects on the interior and the breakers. It is of no concern even on the hottest day the air movement aid the cooling of the panel moving air dissipates the temp of the surface over which it flows.

Quote Originally Posted by JIm Douglass View Post
    That's why heat guns don't heat things up? Guess I'll have to try to figure out why the heat-shrink tubing shrinks with the heat gun.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The air coming off a condenser is usually 30-35 degrees hotter than the ambient. Direct sunlight can also raise it quite a bit. The unit should have 12" clearance from the wall unless there is an inspection panel and then it should be 30". Breakers don't trip at just one amperage. They are affected by temperature, load, and time at load. Heat could be a problem, but it may not be if the breaker is never loaded more than 60-70%. Most will never see 100% of their rating, especially a main. Molded Case Thermal Magnetic Breakers have a time-current trip curve and a de-rating factor for ambient temperatures. Just FYI.

http://ecmweb.com/basics/sizing-circuit-breaker

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That's why heat guns don't heat things up? Guess I'll have to try to figure out why the heat-shrink tubing shrinks with the heat gun.

Well that explains why my van never heats up when I park it in the sun :-)

[QUOTE=Scott Cook;245346]The air coming off a condenser is usually 30-35 degrees hotter than the ambient. Direct sunlight can also raise it quite a bit. The unit should have 12" clearance from the wall unless there is an inspection panel and then it should be 30". Breakers don't trip at just one amperage. They are affected by temperature, load, and time at load. Heat could be a problem, but it may not be if the breaker is never loaded more than 60-70%. Most will never see 100% of their rating, especially a main. Molded Case Thermal Magnetic Breakers have a time-current trip curve and a de-rating factor for ambient temperatures. Just FYI.

http://ecmweb.com/basics/sizing-circuit-breaker

- - - Updated - - -

I figured it wouldn't be an issue for these folks, I didn't know if the added heat would ever in the future play a part in premature failure or anything else I may have overlooked.
    I do appreciate your time and the response

Red face Re: AC close to panel

I think the installation violates NEC 110.26 - Spaces About Electrical Equipment.

See

www.mikeholt.com/instructor2/img/.../pdf/11NEC101-1076-sample.pdf

Forget that the AC unit is in front of the panel (addressed) ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sullivan View Post
    I think the installation violates NEC 110.26 - Spaces About Electrical Equipment.

See

Yes it does, and Marc addressed that.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sullivan View Post

See

Oh sure go there again. Troublemaker.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.