Default non grounded conductor color(s)

I found the identification of grounded conductors and their limitations...can someone show me where non-grounded wire identification might be? Thanks

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: non grounded conductor color(s)

If the conductor is not bare or identified as a groundING conductor, and the conductor is also not identified as a groundED conductor, then the conductor, being neither of the preceding, is a non-grounded conductor.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    If the conductor is not bare or identified as a groundING conductor, and the conductor is also not identified as a groundED conductor, then the conductor, being neither of the preceding, is a non-grounded conductor.
    yes, thanks Jerry.. So I guess its implied.
    Why would NEC go out of its way to specify ground colors (200.6) i think, but not hot..

Ungrounded conductor colors will vary based on system voltage, local customs, job specs etc.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    yes, thanks Jerry.. So I guess its implied.
    Why would NEC go out of its way to specify ground colors (200.6) i think, but not hot..
    The specifics are for safety. Everything not identified as a neutral or ground is assumed to be "hot". As long as you know it is a ungrounded "hot" conductor then you know enough to be safe and you can employ your own color or label system for the particular job requirements and not hurt anyone else that may work on that system. But bare, green, and white are specifically off limits for anything except grounding or grounded conductors.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    The specifics are for safety. Everything not identified as a neutral or ground is assumed to be "hot". As long as you know it is a ungrounded "hot" conductor then you know enough to be safe and you can employ your own color or label system for the particular job requirements and not hurt anyone else that may work on that system. But bare, green, and white are specifically off limits for anything except grounding or grounded conductors.
    Kinda what I though would be the answer. Thanks JL