Thread: critter device

Default critter device

This appears to be some kind of one-way critter device. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Is it home-made or do pros install these?

critter device.jpg

OREP Insurance
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: critter device

French fry basket ...

Looks more like an exit and no re-entry device.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    French fry basket ...

Looks more like an exit and no re-entry device.
    Yes, that's what I meant by "one way". Squirrels, probably.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

that's a broker basket

I haven't seen one before, however, based on what looks to be a label on the top of the device, I am guessing that it is a manufactured unit.

Let those rodents out and keep them from coming back in, better than bait/poison and having them die in the attic and start stinking.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A few years ago I had a rental property in Atlanta that had squirrels in the attic.
    Saw an advertisement that said "I can get rid of squirrels in your attic, guarantied. No poison, no traps. " So I called the number and told him to do it. He came out and put a cat in the attic. Cat chases out the squirrels, and he put screen over holes.
    I didn't know if I should be amazed at his ingenuity, or angry that I was duped.
    Paid him $250. Squirrels are gone.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

....Home fashioned bat cage, though typically bats enter and egress at the same access point. Could be to capture any orphaned young who haven't left their roost yet.

Last edited by Ian Page; 07-09-2014 at 04:25 PM.

It ain't catching anything with the door tripped shut.

A couple of those high frequency noise makers that look like transistor radios would probably work better than trapping one animal with that goofy arrangement.

I am picturing the guy on the ladder with a screwdriver and an angry wolverine in the cage.

OK, I see now, the end of the 'cage' is open to let them out so they can find a new way in.

Last edited by John Kogel; 07-10-2014 at 07:05 AM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Not supposed to catch anything.

Critter trying to get in can't open the door ... critter going out steps out, door closes behind it - leaving that critter two choices: a) jump; b) stay there and die ... I suspect that any self-respecting critter is going to choose a) ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Not supposed to catch anything.

Critter trying to get in can't open the door ... critter going out steps out, door closes behind it - leaving that critter two choices: a) jump; b) stay there and die ... I suspect that any self-respecting critter is going to choose a) ...
    Jerry I think you are correct. Looking at the 'cage' closely, it appears open-ended to allow full egress and prevent re-entry. Definitely for bats IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    A few years ago I had a rental property in Atlanta that had squirrels in the attic.
    Saw an advertisement that said "I can get rid of squirrels in your attic, guarantied. No poison, no traps. " So I called the number and told him to do it. He came out and put a cat in the attic. Cat chases out the squirrels, and he put screen over holes.
    I didn't know if I should be amazed at his ingenuity, or angry that I was duped.
    Paid him $250. Squirrels are gone.
    Come on Rick,

Duped is "The Nigerian Prince needs help getting his mega dollars safely out of the country."

Your still angry you didn't think of that remedy first.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Come on Rick,

Duped is "The Nigerian Prince needs help getting his mega dollars safely out of the country."

Your still angry you didn't think of that remedy first.
    What really made me mad was two weeks later I had to pay someone else $75 to remove a dead cat from the attic.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

It will work. Animal will push past door.

Wish I had picture of one I made up for a friend with a squirrel invasion in attic. I fought with the squirrels for several days before I caught all of them and took them for a road trip. Found that just chasing them out of attic was a temp condition. They would come back. I put screening on interior of wood louvered end gable vent. The squirrels chewed out all of the wood louvers and ripped out the screening.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    I put screening on interior of wood louvered end gable vent. The squirrels chewed out all of the wood louvers and ripped out the screening.
    Kids. They were born in that attic and you had the gall to try and keep them out.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Kids. They were born in that attic and you had the gall to try and keep them out.

More like politicians, once they get into a house they think they own it and it was built for their sole benefit and exploitation.

They also have no concern to the damage that they cause.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 07-14-2014 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    This appears to be some kind of one-way critter device. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Is it home-made or do pros install these?

critter device.jpg
    Great device, but once the critters are gone it should have been removed and the area properly repaired. Also it is very important to find the secondary entry/exit. Most animals will make a secondary.

I built a much less elaborate one to get a raccoon and her kits out of an attic. Closed up two entries and left one open. Made LOTS of crazy noise (firecrackers in tin cans etc), set up traps int eh attic (most raccoons in the area have been trapped and wont go in one, they know they are being targeted when a trap arrives. They were gone the next day and I sealed the area properly.

Some crazy "professional" trapper had charged the people 150 and didnt get them out then wanted 1500, said he had to kill them then tear out structure to get the bodies. Took me 2 hours total plus two trips driving there.