Don Burbach Guest

Default What kind of attic insulation is this?

After 10 years of doing inspections, you see something that makes you think.... no allusions here that I have seen everything, that would be really tempting fate!

Found this insulation in the attic of a California 1978 tract home. It's shreded pieces of fibrous material that is about 5" deep, takes some effort to break apart, and sort of a consistency like straw type packing material. Feels like a coarse Nabisco shreded wheat cereal. I don't think that it is likely that the original insulation has been replaced. The color in the picture is a good representation of the color in-person.

BTW: This roof has Monier roof tiles before tar paper or sheathing was used.

I saw a reference to hemp insulation, but couldn't find a picture that had the right color. It must be pretty rare.

Anybody recognize it? Thanks for all help. No reward, this is just for curiosity.

~Don

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: What kind of attic insulation is this?

Don,
    Your photo didnt appear on my tablet, but from what you have described, it may be "Silvawool" which was a Weyerhaeuser product. Shreds or slivers of wood treated with fire retardant....