Default Refrigerator advice needed

This is about my own fridge. It's an old-ish Amana, nothing special, and lately it's started making a loud humming noise. I can get it to stop by giving it a good thump, but that's only temporary.
    I was in denial until this evening when preparing tacos. The cilantro I tossed in the bottom of the fridge this morning came out frosty/frozen. The fridge and freezer settings had not changed.
    My fridge is toast, yes? So to speak.
    Probably dumb to even think about repair, since a new one would likely be much more efficient.
    What say you, fridge mavens? Is it TIME?

Crawl Space Creeper
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: Refrigerator advice needed

Ok, it's not as old as I thought. I would have guessed about 15, but I dug out the paperwork and it's only 9 years old.
    The humming is not nearly as bad as the dying compressor noise I listened to on a youtube.
    But, I distinctly remember food freezing in the bottom of the really old fridge that the current one replaced, so the frosty cilantro really got my attention.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

I know I would never entertain the idea of buying GE kitchen appliances again. Poorly designed, and poorly thought out especially the fridge and stove. The fridge gaskets are already starting to crack and its only 3 years old. Don't care for the double doors, nor the freezer in the bottom.

Domestic diva.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    This is about my own fridge. It's an old-ish Amana, nothing special, and lately it's started making a loud humming noise. I can get it to stop by giving it a good thump, but that's only temporary.
    I was in denial until this evening when preparing tacos. The cilantro I tossed in the bottom of the fridge this morning came out frosty/frozen. The fridge and freezer settings had not changed.
    My fridge is toast, yes? So to speak.
    Probably dumb to even think about repair, since a new one would likely be much more efficient.
    What say you, fridge mavens? Is it TIME?
    My SWAG is the Self Defrosting timer / switch.

Easy parts change for Any competent Appliance Repairman.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Have you cleaned the coils?

I replaced the t-stat in my rental because it was freezing everything inside the refrigerator part, and that took care of the problem. Wasn't making a humming noise though.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Appliance 411 - Who builds what?
    Appliance411 The Purchase: Who Makes What?

Whirlpool owns most of them now, including Amana.

GE is Hotpoint, Camco, Kenmore and a few others.

John, make sure food packaging is not pushed back against the thermostat. We had overly cold food and that was all it was, no air passing over the thermostat.
    The humming is probably vibration-related, fridge is working hard to freeze a big chest full of air and cilantro.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I think the cilantro was up against a vent at the bottom back - maybe that's why it got frosty. The lettuce down at the bottom looks fine. I don't know where the thermostat is.
    This morning I vacuumed the fan and coil at the bottom rear - there wasn't really all that much to vacuum, considering we have two shedding cats.
    Keeping fingers crossed. Haven't heard any loud humming since cleaning, etc.

Thanks all for responding.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I pull enough dog hair out of the intake vents on the bottom of our fridge to make another dog.

Mmmmmmmm.......I like tacos.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey