Default Double Tapped Main Lugs

Service Conductor.jpg
    Are the main lugs ever rated for more than one conductor? This is an ITE Pushmatic box with 200 Amp disconnect. Is there any definitive code or standard covering this issue? Under what circumstances, if any, is this allowed? I have seen this a number of times and I haven't been able to find any standards regarding it. If it is just manufacturers documentation, how do we find this?

THanks for the help.

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Double Tapped Main Lugs

It's wrong.
    1. Lugs are for one conductor unless it is stamped on the lug.
    2. When a lug is rated, listed and labeled for more than one conductor they usually are required to be the same size.
    3. There is probably no overcurrent protection for the circuit tapped off the lug except the utility company fuse at the pole or transformer.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

As Alton noted, it is wrong and I find it fairly often in old panels. Being a Pushmatic, I doubt you will easily find a reference from the manufacturer. I would not worry about documenting that it is wrong, call it out and just say it is wrong and needs an electrician to correct.

Sometimes we are too concerned about providing proof to justify our findings when simply reporting what we find is all that is needed. If someone wants proof let them find the proof that it is correct!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    As Alton noted, it is wrong and I find it fairly often in old panels. Being a Pushmatic, I doubt you will easily find a reference from the manufacturer. I would not worry about documenting that it is wrong, call it out and just say it is wrong and needs an electrician to correct.

Sometimes we are too concerned about providing proof to justify our findings when simply reporting what we find is all that is needed. If someone wants proof let them find the proof that it is correct!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post

Incorrect! Everything IS leagal untill proven otherwize. Otherwize, only opinions would be necessary instead of legal standards. It is this type of mind set that leads to abuse.

Missing from the pics that have been posted of legal (approved) multi-conductor terminals: There are terminals rated/approved for two conductors under one set screw. I've used them many times, usually in commercial and industrial equipment. Manufacturers often have these as options.
    These terminals are characterized by oval or what appears like two holes connected togeather.
    They are quite obvious upon observation.

Quote Originally Posted by bob smit View Post
    Incorrect! Everything IS leagal untill proven otherwize. Otherwize, only opinions would be necessary instead of legal standards. It is this type of mind set that leads to abuse.

Missing from the pics that have been posted of legal (approved) multi-conductor terminals: There are terminals rated/approved for two conductors under one set screw. I've used them many times, usually in commercial and industrial equipment. Manufacturers often have these as options.
    These terminals are characterized by oval or what appears like two holes connected togeather.
    Thanks for the additional info. The ones in question in this panel did not have an oval shape.

To Bob S, I disagree. Driving 60 in 40 is always illegal, it just becomes a problem when caught. Installing work not in conformance with the standards enforced is illegal, whether it mleads to a problem or not.

Since those are not multi-conductor terminals they are not code compliant. If the NEC has been adopted that would then be a violation of a legally adopted standard.

Incorrect! Everything IS leagal untill proven otherwize.
    That's like saying that when a tree falls in the forest because there is no one around to hear the sound.

It is illegal (I dislike that term in this instance) WHETHER OR NOT someone is caught or something is proven or not.

A tree falling in the forest DOES make the very same noise ... whether or not anyone is there to hear it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Even if you could apply tap rules & IMO they do not apply in this case, it fails miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    It is illegal (I dislike that term in this instance) WHETHER OR NOT someone is caught or something is proven or not.

Maybe we should use "not just or true" for "illegal" ?

Rollie;
    Please elaborate on "it fails miserably."

I believe Rollie is talking about how it does not come close to meeting the tap rules properly.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe Rollie is talking about how it does not come close to meeting the tap rules properly.

- - - Updated - - -

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

I don't think that came out the way you intended.
    There are terminals rated/approved for two conductors under one set screw. I've used them many times, usually in commercial and industrial equipment. Manufacturers often have these as options.
    You can put two ground wires of the same gauge under the same lug in a service panel, but I'm unaware of any allowed terminal that you can put wires of different gauges under the same lug.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Hey bob.
    A 200 amp disconnect feeds that large conductor.

Someone has slipped a #10 or similar gauge wire in there. It's a no-brainer.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    I don't think that came out the way you intended.

You can put two ground wires of the same gauge under the same lug in a service panel, but I'm unaware of any allowed terminal that you can put wires of different gauges under the same lug.
    Thanks for being the only one who didn't jump to inference Lon.

Are these neutral lugs the approved type or is this illegal also?

- - - Updated - - -

Are these neutral lugs the approved type or is this illegal also?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Ken, they still look like the standard lug that Square D uses that is only for one cnductor.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That's like saying that when a tree falls in the forest because there is no one around to hear the sound.

A tree falling in the forest DOES make the very same noise ... whether or not anyone is there to hear it.
    Just like if a Man is in the woods, and there is no Woman around for a 100 miles, He's "STILL" Wrong !