Thread: stacked rock

cory nystul Guest

Default stacked rock

I found this stacked rock support in a crawlspace today. Most of the supports were LOG. Big old bulky logs that are solid. However the stacked rocks concern me what are the opinions?

Sorry the on epic is sideways

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: stacked rock

That sideways one concerns me......

But seriously folks, in your case since the stones are not uniform, I think you are correct in pointing it out and calling for a more stable support. Uniform stacked bricks or flag stone are usually more stable in my limited experience with this sort of thing. You might ever so carefully check for wobbling or load bearing, but poking or pushing on them goes beyond your job as a home inspector. Just because you can likely kick them out, doesn't mean that you should.

The log support concerns me because of the risk of termites and or rot. Treated lumber would be much better.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by cory nystul View Post
    I found this stacked rock support in a crawlspace today. Most of the supports were LOG. Big old bulky logs that are solid. However the stacked rocks concern me what are the opinions?

Sorry the on epic is sideways

As I was reading the post I was chuckling to myself thinking that looked like pretty much every house in certain areas I regularly work. Then I glanced up and realized you're from Oregon too

Yep..... that's pretty standard stuff around here. Bubba and Co. Contractors, specializing in small, poorly built additions (just a hunch that it's an addition - I've also seen entire houses done that way).

I write it up as substandard building practices, vulnerable to failure in an earthquake, likely not properly designed or overseen by the AHJ, etc, etc. In most cases there will be many more problems to write up along with it.

It looks like the home has had recent work done to it with the flex air duct and the shims that look like they have fresh cuts. It looks like a flipper house.... What I'm seeing is a mess. Untreated wood in contact with concrete, soft wood shims, odd shape stones...... I would be recommending a qualified foundation contractor real quickly to take a look and make needed corrections.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Obviously sub-standard....thanks for sharing the photos.

Thom Huggett, PE, SE, CBO