Default FL Wind Mit Inspector didn't do much

I had a Wind Mit done today on my home that was built in 1955 that I just put a new roof on. I have a question for those who do this inspection. Is it said somewhere that the inspector is not allowed to take down an area of soffit to see how the roof is attached (hurricane straps/how many nails) if the roof is a gable roof with tongue and groove ceilings (no attic)? The guy wouldn't take down a part of the soffit to look and I basically have a report that says unknown for the areas I would need for a credit. The soffit isn't old and I just had a guy out for wasps take down one section of soffit to get a wasp nest. It took him at most 10 minutes to take it off and put it back.

Inspection Referral

Default Re: FL Wind Mit Inspector didn't do much

Until one of the guys who does the inspections answers ... I can say this: *inspectors* are not *contractor* and do not take things apart to look at them.

*Inspectors* are there only to "inspect".

It would be up to the inspector if they would be willing to go out of their way to inspect something which was made visible by the contractor - I suspect it would depend on ease of access.

You could have a contractor there during the inspection and that contractor could remove items to allow the inspector to see things which are covered up - otherwise what is not visible is not known ... I.e., "unknown".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

What you say does make sense. I guess where I'm thinking is if I'm paying for a service that's not required, but something I want done, I would expect the person to do a thourough job to make sure everything gets documented accurately. I guess that's not how this type of inspection is done though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia McDowell View Post
    I guess that's not how this type of inspection is done though.
    You are again referring to "not how this type of inspection" is done - I am again saying that there is a difference between "inspection" which looks at what is visible and accessible ... and a "contractor who takes things apart".

As you said - it was an "inspection" ... it was not deconstruction and reconstruction.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Inspectors do not take things apart other than removing panel covers. Removing soffits or sections of fascia boards, etc are things that are not done by home inspectors. Now with some of the forensic work I do, yes I remove sections of walls, ceilings etc... Or actually most of the time I have the owner have a contractor do the destructive or intrusive work while I watch and document everything. But, also with this type of work I'm billing about $250 an hour with 3-4 hour minimums..... I bet that is a little more than a "Wind Mitigation" inspection....

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

There have been several occasions where I have taken the soffit down ( when possible) if I suspect there are clips which cannot be seen and or photographed from within the attic. I doubt that I would consider doing so on a house built in 1955 unless I could actually see clips in the attic which were not accessible to get the photos of the nail attachments. If I cannot easily take the soffit down to get the pics, I tell the Owner to have a contractor remove them and I will come back to secure the pics.

That being said, I concur with Jerry, we are Inspectors and not Contractors and are not being paid to take soffits down. I always try to take the extra step when I can to get the client the credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia McDowell View Post
    I had a Wind Mit done today on my home that was built in 1955 that I just put a new roof on. I have a question for those who do this inspection. Is it said somewhere that the inspector is not allowed to take down an area of soffit to see how the roof is attached (hurricane straps/how many nails) if the roof is a gable roof with tongue and groove ceilings (no attic)? The guy wouldn't take down a part of the soffit to look and I basically have a report that says unknown for the areas I would need for a credit. The soffit isn't old and I just had a guy out for wasps take down one section of soffit to get a wasp nest. It took him at most 10 minutes to take it off and put it back.
    The problem is NOT with your inspector but with your contractor and the in process inspections.

When work such as hurricane clips will be covered up it should be photographed in detail. Fascia replacement is required to be permitted in most Flrida jurisdictions. Gable ends must be reinforced in Florida at time of re-roof. THere is no permit required and the acceptable methods and drawings are available online. If they are not accessible later that should be ok as the city/county inspector should have done so as part of the re-roof requirement. If it was not bought off specifically by the city inspector then you may be able to get him to note its proper installation and inspection during the inspection cycle as it is required, including the hurricane ties and straps if they were included int eh work description. There are certain straps that cross ridgelines from rafter to rafter that must be inspected before the underlayment is placed. Those I believe are requred at re-roof.

If hurrican clip and gable end reinforcements were included in the notations of the permit and the permit has been bought and closed, then the inspection was supposedly perfiormed by the city/county and any third party inspection is not appropriate.

I hope this helps with your issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Jeanis View Post
    . . Gable ends must be reinforced in Florida at time of re-roof. .
    Care to expound on those details?

FWIW, as to a Wind Mitigation, if the roof-wall connection isn't visible, then the homeowner can arrange to have (at their expense) the wall/soffit opened for review and photographs. If we can't see it and photograph it for the State required form, then you will not get credit for it.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Care to expound on those details?

FWIW, as to a Wind Mitigation, if the roof-wall connection isn't visible, then the homeowner can arrange to have (at their expense) the wall/soffit opened for review and photographs. If we can't see it and photograph it for the State required form, then you will not get credit for it.

Dom.
    Ditto, I thought Jerry would be all over this one.