Thread: Re-inspections

Timothy Crotts Guest

Default Re-inspections

How do you guys handle re-inspections or followup inspections? I have never been to one where everything on the repair list has been completed. And then, I usually find several items that have been done incorrectly or unprofessionally. And then.... the seller and/or repairman claim they couldn't find the item, didn't understand the defect or just want to argue about the significance of the defect. I'm thinking about not doing "re-inspections" altogether but I don't want to damage my relationship with the realtors. Any suggestions?

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Re-inspections

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Crotts View Post
    How do you guys handle re-inspections or followup inspections? I have never been to one where everything on the repair list has been completed. And then, I usually find several items that have been done incorrectly or unprofessionally. And then.... the seller and/or repairman claim they couldn't find the item, didn't understand the defect or just want to argue about the significance of the defect. I'm thinking about not doing "re-inspections" altogether but I don't want to damage my relationship with the realtors. Any suggestions?
    Reinspections are a pain and at times just part of the job. I dislike them but I charge on the average $175-$225 for about thirty minutes of work. I make it clear I'm looking at only the items the client asked to be repaired from the original report.

I ask/require the agent or client to provide me the list/copy of items they requested to be corrected and this is what I work off of. This year I started to do things a little differently, I no longer write a letter report on what I found at the reinspection. I make notations on the list that was provided and hand it back to the agent or client at the end, this is also when I go over what I found. If nobody is around, I will send a simple email with what I found. So far it has worked great, but then I have only done it four times this year. Did I say I dislike reinspections!

If you do reinspections be sure you cover it with a new agreement or do as I do and cover any and all reinspections in the original preinspection agreement. Also, never get into arguments about the repairs. It is either corrected, it's been done wrong or it was never touched. If somebody wants to argue about the repairs let it be the person who is buying the home or their agent, it's not your place as a home inspector to fight for the rights of the buyer.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 08-02-2014 at 07:01 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

For the life of me I have a hard time accepting the attitude/logic many have of going back and providing an opinion on a repair that was either part of the original inspection or was done through contract negations. Do it as part of the original inspection contract or do it as an additional service. To charge for your time or not is a personal issue. But looking at the re-inspection of repairs as a problem shouldn't be an issue. It is an opportunity.

If an HI calls for a repair/replacement or suggests a correction for any reason they should be prepared, both psychologically and with the construction experience, to go back and follow up with out hesitation on the report that they have written.

Granted some HI really have no idea of what they are doing due to lack of construction experience. Where they really just do not how it was done and what is correct. Which is why the insertion of "by qualified professional" is used so often in many reports. Unless the ego of the Hi is that they know everything based on nothing other than attitude. Then there is the element that look being a HI at it as a easy fast buck, just another hit and run.

Frankly the fact that a client has enough confidence to ask the HI to come back should be vied as a true complement.

I do not do re-inspection to ensure repairs have been completed satisfactorily, unless I am there to see first hand the repairs carried out. If you are not present you have no idea how something was done, to what standard and to what extent and to what quality. If its covered over by the time you the inspector arrive to comment what will you tell the client?

This is why I inform my clients that if the vendor is going to carry out repairs in order to make the deal fly they (my clients) have no control over quality, standard, or correctness has been carried out. Better the client take a price reduction if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I do not do re-inspection to ensure repairs have been completed satisfactorily, unless I am there to see first hand the repairs carried out.
    That is why the repairs should be done by a licensed contractor who pulls a permit and the AHJ does an inspection on it - they accept it and sign it off as being approved.

Okay, so now the HI goes out to reinspect the repairs ... for what reason, I forgot ... the AHJ has already approved the repairs.

Unless a licensed contractor did not do the repairs ... or did not pull a permit for the repairs ... or did not have the work inspected ... so why is the HI doing a reinspection, I forgot ... to certify the repairs? Now that is a risky business model.

Now, if the HI only goes out and says:
    - a) yeppers, someone did something in the area referenced in the report but I wasn't here to see what was done, how it was done, or exactly where it was done
    - - if the client is willing to pay for that nothingness - I guess you might as well go for it; or
    - b) nope, no one did any work in the area referenced in the report, at least not that I can tell
    - - if the client is willing to pay for that - and if that is worth paying for (reinspection cost less than the work), then it might benefit the client to pay for it,
    - - but what about the final reinspection which results in a)?

Just some food for thoughts from my perspective of what I do now.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry P. wrote in part:
    That is why the repairs should be done by a licensed contractor who pulls a permit and the AHJ does an inspection on it - they accept it and sign it off as being approved.
    Caveat. Not all repairs require permits so even that is not fool proof, and not all so called professionals do professional work. And not all code inspectors are competent. However it is a good point you raise.

It still revolves around the fact I as an inspector am the quality assurance assessment person. If I am not there to see the work carried out; was the work actually done?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Jerry P. wrote in part:
    Caveat. Not all repairs require permits so even that is not fool proof, and not all so called professionals do professional work. And not all code inspectors are competent. However it is a good point you raise.

It still revolves around the fact I as an inspector am the quality assurance assessment person. If I am not there to see the work carried out; was the work actually done?
    Raymond,

Point taken, and this actually happened to me about 4-5 weeks ago:

I was doing a pre-power electrical inspection on a building so they could get power to it, hot check it, and get ready for final electrical inspection.

As I was going through the building I noticed that they were missing some breakers and the wires were just laying in the panel, the electrical contractor went to their storage trailer to get some breakers and put them in as we went through the building.

Every so often he would go get more breakers - he could only carry just so many at one time.

Fast forward to the final inspection and those same breakers were missing? Huh?

I found out that the electrical contractor had a helper going behind us and removing those breakers, then he would 'go to the storage trailer for more breakers' (he actually went to the helper for the breakers they were taking back out).

Fooled me once, but that electrical contractor now has to walk a tighter line because they are not going to fool me again. I now go back and double check his work, and nothing had better be changed from when I last saw it or his next inspection is going to have everything marked with a marker, and nothing had better show up twice.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I don't like doing reinspections and I have tried in the past to get away from them but I always end up getting sucked back in. I've done far too many of them where only some of the items were repaired, some where none of the items were repaired, and some where the repairs made were total crap. I now take pleasure in exposing sellers and professionals who try to scam my clients.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Russel Ray Guest

I find it somewhat disingenuous when a home inspector says that s/he won't take a look at repairs because s/he didn't see them being done. With that attitude, one should never inspect anything that one didn't see being done, old construction or new construction.

Smile Re: Re-inspections

Frankly I enjoy doing re-inspections. It isn't very hard since I don't have to look for something, I already know what/where it is. But mostly it is a great relationship builder with the buyer and the agent. Gives them the feeling that I stand by my work and am willing to see them through it. They remember that I didn't just dump a report on them and run away.

I used to reinspect; just as the OP not everything done, or done correct, or without creating new problems. I no longer do the reinspection of repairs as listed and requiring client initials on the contract; also noted in the report, and briefly on the invoice. Set the expectations firmly and early.
    And you will note they are to understand that there is not a discount if the home is "not ready" for utilities or obstructions- I send an email asap to the clients' agent to "remind" and forward access and utiilties requirements to the listing agent/seller to 'prepare'

From my contract:

ACCESS & UTILITIES: Per TREC Real Estate Contract 20-10 section 7A: ...Seller at Seller's expense shall turn on existing utilities for inspections."
    It is the seller’s responsibility to arrange utilities, the professional responsibility of the seller’s agent (if not FSBO) to inform the seller to clear adequate access to all major systems, components, areas for the inspection. This means unrestricted access at all electrical panels, attics, hvac systems, water heating appliances, sprinkler controls, etc. It is the responsibility of you (or your agent if so arranged), the client, buyer, to verify all utilities are on & access available prior to the inspection.
    There is no discount for the inspection for lack of utilities or for any component or area “inaccessible” or “not readily accessible”.
    In most cases & at the inspector's discretion the inspector is not allowed to & will not turn on gas or water mains or appliance branch valves or electrical breakers found off upon arrival; will not de-winterize the home; will not light any pilots that are off upon arrival. Unless, prior to the inspection, the inspector is provided full written release of liability from the seller, occupant, & their legal representative in this transaction including written consent to turn on water, gas, electrical, etc valves/circuits. The inspector will otherwise proceed to inspect only what is present, functioning/serviceable with normal controls, & available, when he arrives at the property.
    If the home is Vacant, HUD, Winterized, or otherwise in a condition where utilities are or may be off upon the inspector's arrival: Someone else can turn on utilities OR with full written release of liability PRIOR TO THE INSPECTION as noted in the above section, client fully & unconditionally agrees to the following:
    By contracting Select Inspect to inspect this property, & by your reliance upon any information in this report you hereby take all financial responsibility & release Select Inspect & Bruce Warren Carr from liability of any potential damages caused by our turning on overcurrent-protection-devices (breakers) or utility supply valves in the attempt to operate utilities, fixtures, appliances, etc. for the benefit of your inspection process. Related information will be on page 5 of your property inspection report.

RETURN VISITS
    TO THE PROPERTY ARE NOT INCLUDED with the original inspection fee. Return visits will cost a minimum of $250 to return to the property for up to one hour, & $100 per hour ($1.6~ per minute) after the first hour at the property, & a fee of $1 per mile round-trip. ADDITIONAL VISITS TO THE PROPERTY FOR INSPECTION OF CONDITIONS, UTILITIES, AND OR ITEMS OBSTRUCTED OR UNAVAILABLE AT THE INITIAL INSPECTION ARE NOT INCLUDED WITH THE ORIGINAL INSPECTION FEE. It is the responsibility of the client (purchaser of service) & their real estate agent/broker/representative to ensure access to components & that utilities are on at the site prior to the inspection, as there will not be a "discount" for lack of utilities or lack of access. Refer also to the “Access & Utilities” paragraph above.
    REINSPECTION OF REPAIRS REGARDING THE INSPECTION REPORT & WHAT YOU MAY OPTIONALLY NEGOTIATE WITH THE SELLER OF THE PROPERTY, AFTER RECEIVING THE INSPECTION REPORT IS UNAVAILABLE & WILL NOT BE PERFORMED BY SELECT INSPECT.
    I suggest if you choose to amend your contract & negotiate repairs, thus allowing the seller to be your general contractor, that you obtain any & all receipts, invoices, warranties, & or other related documentation from the seller & contractor(s) performing any work you require. I (Select Inspect) am not required to nor will I return to the property to confirm, verify, approve or otherwise “reinspect” any repairs or improvements made after the date of the initial property inspection. REFER TO YOUR INVOICE & PAGE 3 OF YOUR INSPECTION REPORT FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

and access requirements @ Home Inspection Prosper; Home Inspection Dallas, foreclosure inspection, Home Inspection plano, Home Inspection mckinney, Home Inspection allen, Home Inspection fairview, Home Inspection celina, Home Inspection frisco
    and in email to the agent (cc'd to the buyer) so they know what I am up to on their behalf-due diligence.

1 John 2:15-17
    Rom 6:23
    2 Tim 2:15

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I don't like doing reinspections and I have tried in the past to get away from them but I always end up getting sucked back in. I've done far too many of them where only some of the items were repaired, some where none of the items were repaired, and some where the repairs made were total crap. I now take pleasure in exposing sellers and professionals who try to scam my clients.
    Ditto....I recently bumped heads with an electrician who did a crap correction. On one hand, I spent far too much time proving I was correct, but on the other hand, seeing the arrogant SOB grovel made it worth it.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

I agree with Scott's method. It is not another full inspection. Give me a list of what you want re-inspected. I don't guarantee materials or workmanship but if it is obviously bad work or totally wrong materials I will note that. I charge $150 the first hour minimum and $100 per hour in 15 minute increments thereafter.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Here is what is in the NWMLS Form 35 Inspection Addendum for Transactions in Washington State - Western Washington anyways: "Seller's repairs are subject to reinspection and approval, prior to Closing, by the inspector who recommended the repair, if Buyer elects to order and pay for such inspection".... A managing broker of one of the offices pointed this out to her Realtors and said that if I did not do re inspections, (which I didn't and don't like to do) they could not use me as their inspector any longer because it's contrary to what is in the Form 35..

So, I changed my contract and here is what I came up with: "By signing below, Client acknowledges that GPSHIS, Inc., or it's employees, does not / will not re-inspect, and / or sign off on any work performed on the inspected residence unless a copy of the requested repairs agreed upon (Form 35R) signed by both Buyer and Seller and copies of all receipts for the repairs, is received by GPSHIS, Inc., at least 24 hours prior to re-inspection. A minimum fee of $250.00 will be charge and due at time of re-inspection".

I know there are some holes in it, but I think the $250 will keep most from wanting a re-inspection - so far there have been no takers anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is what is in the NWMLS Form 35 Inspection Addendum for Transactions in Washington State - Western Washington anyways: "Seller's repairs are subject to reinspection and approval, prior to Closing, by the inspector who recommended the repair, if Buyer elects to order and pay for such inspection".... A managing broker of one of the offices pointed this out to her Realtors and said that if I did not do re inspections, (which I didn't and don't like to do) they could not use me as their inspector any longer because it's contrary to what is in the Form 35..

So, I changed my contract and here is what I came up with: "By signing below, Client acknowledges that GPSHIS, Inc., or it's employees, does not / will not re-inspect, and / or sign off on any work performed on the inspected residence unless a copy of the requested repairs agreed upon (Form 35R) signed by both Buyer and Seller and copies of all receipts for the repairs, is received by GPSHIS, Inc., at least 24 hours prior to re-inspection. A minimum fee of $250.00 will be charge and due at time of re-inspection".

I know there are some holes in it, but I think the $250 will keep most from wanting a re-inspection - so far there have been no takers anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Jim,
    Interesting.

http://www.budgetflatfee.com/files/d...n_Addendum.pdf

Line # 58,59 & 60.

"Seller's repairs are subject to reinspection and approval, prior to Closing, by the inspector who recommended the repair, if Buyer elects to order and pay for such reinspection. "

So, have to ask why you are so reluctant to do reinspections?
    Is it time, liability, knowledge, remuneration, one trick pony syndrome or something else?

One way out is not to recommend a repair, only describe condition. Make statements of fact. Not sure if would meet state lic law though, didn't bother to look.

Something like: "The deck is collapsing as a result of structural design deficiencies and deteriorated materials. The deck will not support any weight and will collapse under its own weight in the near future. "

Not what I would say or direction I would take, but it is a point to ponder.

PS. You can edit out the multiple UPDATES from clicking on the "Submit Reply" to often. I know it often doesn't seem to respond the first hit even though it has.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post
    .............. A managing broker of one of the offices pointed this out to her Realtors and said that if I did not do re inspections, (which I didn't and don't like to do) they could not use me as their inspector any longer ................

So, I changed my contract....................

Surprised the Broker stated that way. Sense it is the Buyer's choice of the HI not the Broker or Agent. Sounds like Broker/Agent are not following the form and Law.

Then again in your zeal to not do reinspections I would think that the Broaker/Agent will look at your agreement and say "This guy doesn't want our business so lets drop him and be done with it."

I don't like doing re-inspections, but I try to be the "go to" guy for agents and clients, so if I'm asked to do a follow up, I explain the parameters of the re-inspection and do them. Since, I usually charge for a follow up, I rarely get asked to do them.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Surprised the Broker stated that way. Sense it is the Buyer's choice of the HI not the Broker or Agent. Sounds like Broker/Agent are not following the form and Law.

Then again in your zeal to not do reinspections I would think that the Broaker/Agent will look at your agreement and say "This guy doesn't want our business so lets drop him and be done with it."
    Sorry everyone for the multiple redundant post, thing kept saying there was a server error on the site last night.... Good point Gary, however, the agent never sees the service agreement, it is given to the client on-site. Most realtors have one thing on their mind - getting paid. As for the Broker, that was what was relayed to me by two of my "regulars" in that office.

As for re-inspections, people spend more time trying to hide things than to do it once and do it right. I've never understood people thinking they're saving money by doing things twice.

Whenever I get asked to do a re-inspection, I say, "No problem. Please e-mail me a copy of the request for repairs, the receipt from the contractors who did the work and the building permit, and I'd be happy to go back out." Never hear back.