Don Martin Guest

Default Radon instalation

2000 inspections and this was my first home with an installed radon reduction system. Obviously they are not common in my area. The radon system was installed 16 years ago and the fan has frozen up. The question I have is on the exhaust of the radon thru the roof. The 2 inch PVC radon line is teed into a 2 inch DWV in the attic below the roof. I would have thought a dedicated vent would be required for the Radon vent but since this is the fist one I have seen I just don't know. Any comments from Radon Land?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Don Martin; 08-03-2014 at 07:02 PM.
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Radon instalation

That installation does not meet the EPA protocols. You'll need to check your local codes to see if they set any requirements for the installation of radon mitigation systems. My guess is it would violate a plumbing code.

Here in MN the Dept. of Health suggests mitigation systems be installed to EPA protocols, however there is no law or code which requires them to be installed to the EPA protocols.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Its wrong!

Aside from the mixing of radon and plumbing systems, code does not allow solvent cementing ABS and PVC together.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Don Martin Guest

Thanks Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    Aside from the mixing of radon and plumbing systems, code does not allow solvent cementing ABS and PVC together.
    In this case the "t" is a threaded cleanout fitting and the PVC has a threaded adapter so there is no solvent weld. Of course transition cement (green) is approved for ABS to PVC slip fitting transitions.

Hi Don, I thought you might like this checklist. It is small enough to print out and carry with you and has some good links to more information.

http://www.epa.gov/radon/pdfs/ashicklst.pdf

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    I just looked over the International Plumbing Code and I didn't find where the code does not allow ABS and PVC to be cemented together, could you tell me the chapter and section where this is? I occasionally see ABS and PVC solvent cemented together. If I'm going to reject it, I need to know what part of the code to reference. Thanks.

If you look at physics, chemistry, and gravity, this doesn't look like it would work. If the radon did happen to draft up into the horizontal pipe and make it to the tee in the sewer vent, which way is it going to go? Since radon is the heaviest gas on the periodic chart, it's going to spill out of the horizontal pipe and drop to the lowest point in the sewer system. This most likely will be at the point where the sewer exits the house where the radon will enter the municipal sewer system, the on site septic system, or be blocked by the main line "P" trap if there is one. If the house has a main line "P" trap, the radon will just fill up the sewer system pipes until it does eventually begin to spill out the top of the vent pipe, run down the roof and eventually land on the ground where we would hope it would dissipate.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Martin View Post
    Any comments from Radon Land?
    Here in FL I have only seen one system but we are Radon Land. The system I inspected here was actually a dual system, two 4 inch PVC systems with inline pumps 1/4 in from each end of the length of the structure. There was no timer.

Contact with the designer proved that a timer for the pumps was suggested as 24/7 was not necessary. The Client installed an inexpensive cycling timer at each vent pump. This saved considerable electricity. The original owner did not want ot pay the $20 for a cycling timer!

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Short View Post
    I just looked over the International Plumbing Code and I didn't find where the code does not allow ABS and PVC to be cemented together, could you tell me the chapter and section where this is? I occasionally see ABS and PVC solvent cemented together. If I'm going to reject it, I need to know what part of the code to reference. Thanks.

here ya go!

Attached Files Attached Files
    Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Miller View Post
    here ya go!
    OK, so what I read in the 2009 national plumbing code Table 3.1.3 is that non pressure solvent connections between ABS and PVC are allowed as long as the plumber uses PVC/ABS transition cement. Is this it?

Here is a simple-to-use, free radon system reporting checklist for inspectors International Standards of Practice for Inspecting Commercial Properties - InterNACHI

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI