Default ERV Intake In the Attic

I recently did an inspection on a high end home (~1 mill) with an ERV system. The intake vent was located within the attic. I have always seen both the intake and exhaust installed to the exterior of the house, and have read in at least one place that they should not be located in a basement, garage, or attic. Is being located in the attic a problem, and why? Thanks.

Inspection Referral

Default Re: ERV Intake In the Attic

The intake and exhaust for either an ERV or HRV needs to be outside the building envelope. The unit needs to be in a location that allows for it to be serviced.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kolar View Post
    I recently did an inspection on a high end home (~1 mill) with an ERV system. The intake vent was located within the attic. I have always seen both the intake and exhaust installed to the exterior of the house, and have read in at least one place that they should not be located in a basement, garage, or attic. Is being located in the attic a problem, and why? Thanks.
    Yes, it is a problem. The purpose of ventilation is to introduce fresh air from outside the building into the conditioned space. Kind of stupid to have an intake (or exhaust) located in the attic where you would draw in concentrated pollutants for off gassing of building materials, potentially rodent poop, etc.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kolar View Post
    I recently did an inspection on a high end home (~1 mill) Thanks.
    This is an indication to me of possibly many other violations and issues. The GC should have caught this, the municipal inspector should have caught it, many other trades should have caught it and reported it, plubers, roofers, siding installers, drywallers.you name it. The desgn engineering should have had the vent locations CLEARLY indicated and detailed, the sub should have submitted them to planning and the GC int ethe bid process.

I would go back and start all over again, looking for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. This is a powder keg waiting to blow in my opinion. There has to be a LOT more wrong based on this.

If you have already delivered the inspection report, I suggest you consider how to move forward. Reporting to the municipality is the minimum. Be sure and get all the info on all contractors involved and KEEP it for your protection. Remember, under 1 year in most states the contractors are responsible…but you must assure they are made aware.

Reporting the matter to the municipality? I don't think its the responsibility of the inspector in this case to report anything to the AHJ. He was hired to find omissions, concerns for his client. The onus is now between the vendor and the purchaser to rectify the issue before close of title as per manufactures installation instructions.

Dirk, you post sounds like a typical Mike Holmes rant. Way overblown in my opinion.
    Our job is to call out things that are wrong, not poke our noses into contracts and building dept. enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Dirk, you post sounds like a typical Mike Holmes rant. Way overblown in my opinion.
    Our job is to call out things that are wrong, not poke our noses into contracts and building dept. enforcement.
    I probably mixed up another post in another place. I was thinking that this is a NEW home. If that was the case I would definitely contact the municipality and begin an investigation. This is actually a fairly serious problem as far as any work performed under a permit.

Way overblown is untrue IF there was a permit issued, period. This is the exact reason that I do not believe that municipalities should be able to charge for a permit and do inspections and not have liability if it does not meet engineering dwgs and codes.

I would rather the municipalities allow or require private engineering/inspection firms and stop saying that they are doing something and deny any responsibility or liability or not doing it properly.

The good part is that many municipalities are beginning to allow commercial inspection and engineering to prevail and not even be involved at all or only to review reports.

Thanks all for the information. Dirk, your funny.

Doesn't the ERV have 2 "intakes" and 2 "exhausts?" Maybe the opening in the attic is the one that is being used to pull the stale air out of the house.