Default Best Home Inspector Training / Organizations?

I am looking in to becoming a home inspector and am wondering what organizations are the best to become involved with from the beginning? I have seen people arguing quite a bit about which organization is better and would love to get the opinion of forum members on who they suggest and why.

Thanks a ton for your time!

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Best Home Inspector Training / Organizations?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knowlton View Post
    I am looking in to becoming a home inspector and am wondering what organizations are the best to become involved with from the beginning? I have seen people arguing quite a bit about which organization is better and would love to get the opinion of forum members on who they suggest and why.

Thanks a ton for your time!
    ICC safe...IMO

Now if that is not opening Pandora's box. It will be interesting how this will proceed this time around.

((Mark- sorry not you meant Bryan)) Bryan K., , If you have read the bickering that takes place you should have an opinion by now. Before you get involved with any group, I would suggest reading everything that InspectAPedia.com - Building & Indoor Environment Problem Diagnosis & Repair has to offer. That should keep you busy for some time. Then it is more of a question of what you want to obtain from an association with any group, business or organization.

Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 08-16-2014 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Name correction. Meant or Bryan K

I would recommend attending an actual school with a classroom sessions and actually hands on experience in the field. Associations are great for support, especially your local chapters.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Find out how many inspectors are operating in your area. Frankly my market is saturated with too many inspectors. Pricing is all over the map. Realtors either love ya or hate ya. Inspection schools like to brag about how lucrative the biz is and being your own boss, working to your schedule. Too much hype and bull being put out.

The real money these days is inspection schools. There is no risk teaching unlike providing inspections where risk is much higher since inspectors are on the front lines of disgruntled clients. Have you ever heard of an inspection school/teacher being sued?

Don't rely on associations to bring you biz, many are only interested in generating biz by offering courses so they can keep the association doors open.

Really study your market and what your competition is doing before wading into the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Now if that is not opening Pandora's box. It will be interesting how this will proceed this time around.

Mark, If you have read the bickering that takes place you should have an opinion by now. Before you get involved with any group, I would suggest reading everything that InspectAPedia.com - Building & Indoor Environment Problem Diagnosis & Repair has to offer. That should keep you busy for some time. Then it is more of a question of what you want to obtain from an association with any group, business or organization.
    wasn't sure if you are speaking to me, different name spelling..
    If so, then i say, you Cant inspect a house if you don't know code..that is my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Don't rely on associations to bring you biz, many are only interested in generating biz by offering courses so they can keep the association doors open.
    I agree. I've never received a job from any association. My association is my CA and AZ contractors license. I sent a new guy to San Diego for a week long school thinking it will get him at least "good enough" to do a condo. no such luck...he could barely get though 2-3 of the multitude of codes just for a simple water heater.. Like i said, ICC certs is the way to go if you want to know code to be able to have any chance at competing with seasoned inspectors

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I agree. I've never received a job from any association. My association is my CA and AZ contractors license. I sent a new guy to San Diego for a week long school thinking it will get him at least "good enough" to do a condo. no such luck...he could barely get though 2-3 of the multitude of codes just for a simple water heater.. Like i said, ICC certs is the way to go if you want to know code to be able to have any chance at competing with seasoned inspectors
    I average about 2-3 jobs a month from my association website and from folks wanting to use a person that belongs to the association I'm a member of. This is around 30 or more jobs a year, this has increased over the past few years. Up till a around 2009 it was around 8-10" job's a year. About the only thing I can equate the change too is the increased activity in national media advertising, public relations and our national lobbyist.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    wasn't sure if you are speaking to me, different name spelling..
    If so, then i say, you Cant inspect a house if you don't know code..that is my opinion
    Mark, Sorry meant Bryan (OP) Will go back and correct. Must have been a brain-hand disconnect.

Marc,

My website generates inspections. Never got any inspections via ASHI. My questionnaires indicate that vast majority of my inspections are from referrals, repeat clients and web searches. Ninety nine percent of respondents indicate associations are irrelevant in choosing my services. Clients are also happy that I don't solicit agents for inspections.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Marc,

My website generates inspections. Never got any inspections via ASHI. My questionnaires indicate that vast majority of my inspections are from referrals, repeat clients and web searches. Ninety nine percent of respondents indicate associations are irrelevant in choosing my services. Clients are also happy that I don't solicit agents for inspections.
    okay...same here. 80% of our business is internet. 20% is split between past clients and some agents. i do no solicit agents..ever. Don't care much for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Mark, Sorry meant Bryan (OP) Will go back and correct. Must have been a brain-hand disconnect.
    You bet..NP

A certain well known education for free association (or almost free), has undermined many education and training providers. As another example, at least in most of Canada, another education training provider has virtually captured most of the colleges and online training. The difference being paid versus free, and the credibility. You often get what you pay for.

So the comment about the lucrative profits of education and training has changed dramatically.

As a disclosure, I was part of that education and training regime at a college. Now a days we only offer continuing education is specialty areas. Several years ago we were "let go" from a college in order to create a one source training provider. Call it what you like, but from my perspective it's not all always about profitability.

Regarding the best inspector training - I say it's being mentored by a well experienced home inspector. Certainly a good understanding of residential construction, and critical eye of defect recognition plays a large part of the required background for a good inspector. Now couple that with thorough reporting.

Regarding associations - I suggest looking at what an association provides to help the individual inspector. Again they all have their pros and cons. Many survive on mandating their "brand" of training. Belonging to an association does not equate to making you a better home inspector. Consider what value do you really get for your "membership" fees?

Regarding associations - I suggest looking at what an association provides to help the individual inspector.
    Thanks Claude. Inspector Membership Benefits - InterNACHI

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Remember, free is not the same as quality. Plenty of stuff is free at Wal-Mart and K Mart. Almost nothing is free at Saks 5th Ave. Some like steak, others like hamburger. I prefer and can afford steak.

Most things that are free are not worth having, that is why they are free.

Local Associations are far better at giving you what you need in your area as are the local inspectors. Physically going to meetings and talking to others in your area is priceless. Having at your fingertips the most seasoned and experts in the industry here on Brian's site is also priceless. Some of these guys have 40 years worth of knowledge to share with you. Just ask.

PROFESSIONAL CONSULTING AND INSPECTION COMPANY INCLUDING FORENSIC INVESTIGATIONS

http://jeffghooper.com/

Yes its certainly is a misnomer for a paid spokesperson to keep insisting all those 'free' membership benefits are 'free'. They are not free since many pay for memberships. However some do actually get free benefits, because they were given free memberships! But I guess in her excitement to plug her association she forgot to mention that aspect.

Some of the guys here are deep in the weeds with the politics, etc. of the national associations. For the average inspector, not much of that matters. Education is available from all of the associations. I suggest checking into which one offers the type of education and delivery that most interests you. Secondly, belonging to a local chapter can be worth more than any other benefits. I recommend attending chapter meetings for each of the associations there in San Diego before deciding.........or join two or all three associations.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.